WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2012, 04:33 PM

Contemplation

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Contemplation
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12 x 16 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I did this painting from a photograph. The background was invented and doesn't feel right.
STRUCTURED CRITIQUES PLEASE

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please comment on the background, composition and tonal qualities of the figure. Thankyou
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
in the Zuni Mtns., NM

Hails from United States
Re: Contemplation

I love the figure - well done. I think I would tone down the brilliant green streaks - on the other hand, I like how you used a touch of it on the person.

Jane
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Alabama

Hails from United States

I agree with Jane, I would pull the intensity of the green back down just a smidge. It seems to push the figure almost into the background.

Very nice painting overall with wonderful moodiness.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
canada

Hails from Canada

I simply love this picture! The green part of the background is a thoughtful combination to the orange in her tank top. You have captured a moment of human emotion, our ability to pause and think or feel. Very realistic. My only question is; are the white specs (eyes and nose) going to be toned down)? They seem out of place or unfinished to me. Humbly speaking of course.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2012, 07:50 AM

Jane, J.W. and Yvie,
Thankyou for your positive comments.I will work on the background and the whites of the eyes. I have to do with photographs as I can't afford models!! Good painting to you all. Abo
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Lord of the Arts
NY

Hails from United States

Very nicely done. If the background bothers you that much (I like it as is) maybe try extending the veritcal blocks to the bottom of the painting, eliminating the horizontal. But as I say I think it's fine as is.

Maybe tone down the highlight on the nose just a bit (it may be the photo) but looks a bit too bright to me.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2012, 12:01 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

Opinions as I say, are a bit like armpits. Everyone has at least two...and most stink. So take this, and take from it what you will...and I'll feel none the worse for you to discount any of it...

I don't mind the color...but, to my eye...there is too much "sameness" ...not enough variation to create intrigue...so for one, I created some shadowy area on the left (quickly...with photoshop)...as one example...which helps isolate the form more from the background, bring it forward and cause more depth illusion...

Another note...the anatomy of the forearms is not quite right I suspect. Might want to check your references...

lastly...part of intrigue and variation is to grab the viewer's eye and pull it thru the work in a compelling visual balancing. Formal symmetry is trite and overstates the obvious causing less viewer appeal. Asymmetry better...and one thing I note is the crop or view does not create a focal point specifically.

A typical thing any artist can do...is set up a rule of thirds in designing their work. Where the vertical and horizontals are divided in three equal areas creating four juncture points. The focal area of greatest interest if located on one of the juncture points tends then toward an asymmetry that will carry greater intrigue...
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2012, 05:39 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Hi. Perhaps you are growing weary of looking at her at this point. I just thought I'd take some time to elaborate on what Larry was suggesting. In my first example, she was manipulated to fit her to the rule of thirds "focal" point theory. She looks better? In the second example the grid is shown with her ear canal in the zone.

All is not lost. If you'd prefer to adjust your stretchers you can get a better picture and don't fret it. Old masters have adjusted their stretchers at times too. -h
Attached Images

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2012, 06:03 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

I like that presentation a lot...the left arm and shoulder going off the side altogether...
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2012, 08:52 AM

Thank you both for your comments Larry and H Robinson. I love the idea of creating separation with a darker area behind her head. Also the cropping suggestion does make a better picture with more interesting spacing and better focus on the focal point. These are great suggestions and I thank you both for putting in time on my behalf. Abo