WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Airbrush
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Peak District, UK

Hails from England
NewB needs some advice please

Hi there,

I guess my questions must have been asked thousand times. Honestly I did read through old posts but decided it's better to ask your advice because everybody's needs are different. Hope you don't mind this.

I am not an airbrush artist but a more traditional paint brushes one. My works are small, medium size (less than 16” x 20” so far) animal/wildlife paintings in acrylic with very fine details. I use Liquitex heavy body but tend to use them thin. I have been thinking of investing an airbrush for a long time. I would like to use it for mainly background like some sun beam, animal's breath, tonal effect, fog, ect. and perhaps varnish as well.

Although I'd probably never going to become an airbrush artist like you but I understand the importance of investing good equipments. Equally I think it will also be unwise if I go way over the top for my need. So could you please give me some suggestions?

I'd prefer airbrush is easy to use/clean/maintain and the compressor is quiet and portable and very low maintenance. I've set my eye on Iwata Eclipse BS or CS but not sure if that's a good one for me. As for compressor haven't manage to short list any yet. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Rita
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Re: NewB needs some advice please

I would say go with the CS since you are talking about using it for larger areas.
For the compressor, if you only plan on using your airbrush for the things you mention, which would be a limited number of times and limited time length. Then a standard contractors pancake compressor would be the least expensive. It is very noisy but once you fill the small tank, you could probably finish the type of work you mention without the unit restarting. The "Airbrush compress" that you see are mostly junk and the good ones that are the "Silent type" are very expensive.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Peak District, UK

Hails from England

Thank you for your reply Airscapes!

I will keep that in mind. Not sure how loud these pancake compressors will be but I will be using it either in my studio (loft/attic) or a small bedroom next to our bedroom. Do I look into DIY shops for them? Thanks!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Lake Country, B.C., Canada

Hails from Canada

You might want to consider the Harder Steenbeck Infinity 2in1. I've been using this brush for a number of years now with no problems.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Peak District, UK

Hails from England

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Just had a quick google of the Harder Steenbeck Infinity 2in1 airbrush and watched it on the YouTube. Wow it looks really nice and thoughtfully designed. I like it a lot but I feel it's going to be too advance (and expensive) for my level especially what I will be using it for. If I have the budget I will buy it now!

Cheers, Rita
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritakhc
Thank you for your reply Airscapes!

I will keep that in mind. Not sure how loud these pancake compressors will be but I will be using it either in my studio (loft/attic) or a small bedroom next to our bedroom. Do I look into DIY shops for them? Thanks!

Didn't notice you were not located in the US. Here they would be sold in a Home center or lumber yard type store. They are loud, like a jet plane loud.
If you ever dive buy a site where they are putting a roof on a house with pneumatic air guns, stop and wait a few minutes till you hear the compress kick in, VERY LOUD. So maybe you will need to invest more $$ in a compress meant for airbrush work to get the low noise level you probably will need. Just make sure it has a regulator and at least a small Tank. Do not bother with any compressor that does not have a tank.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Reno, NV

Hails from United States

Anyone know anything about specific car airbrushes? I've been thinking about getting into that since my brother has an old chevy blazer that's about seventy different colors. I've heard the ones sold at Harbor Freight are cheap and hard to clean but decent tools otherwise. I'm not looking to spend much, just something that works. I'd like a large one for single color brushing, and a smaller one for detail work (I'm pretty good at ghost flames).
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanartist49
Anyone know anything about specific car airbrushes? I've been thinking about getting into that since my brother has an old chevy blazer that's about seventy different colors. I've heard the ones sold at Harbor Freight are cheap and hard to clean but decent tools otherwise. I'm not looking to spend much, just something that works. I'd like a large one for single color brushing, and a smaller one for detail work (I'm pretty good at ghost flames).

I would suggest you do a little more research into what is required before you go spending any money. HF is crap, there small touch up guns and even full size guns are ok but need more CFM then anyone typically has available without a 3 phase multistage compressor.
Any airbrush can be used to place art work on a car. There are a couple other forums (just google airbrush forum) that are more geared to the type of painting you are looking to do, they will have better info on that part of the subject.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Peak District, UK

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airscapes
Didn't notice you were not located in the US. Here they would be sold in a Home center or lumber yard type store. They are loud, like a jet plane loud.
If you ever dive buy a site where they are putting a roof on a house with pneumatic air guns, stop and wait a few minutes till you hear the compress kick in, VERY LOUD. So maybe you will need to invest more $$ in a compress meant for airbrush work to get the low noise level you probably will need. Just make sure it has a regulator and at least a small Tank. Do not bother with any compressor that does not have a tank.

Hi Airscape,

I'd probably become the most unpopular neighbour if I use one of those compressors. LOL. You can always tell next door's kids are naughty as adults shouting are loud and clear. Walls are too thin around here...

Thank you for pointed out the two important requirements for buying compressor. So far I've short listed 3 models hope you don't mind put some thoughts for my situation.

AB-AS186 Mini Piston type "0n-demand" compressor with receiver (3.0 litre tank)
This one is under £100, cheap enough, is the quality and spec good enough and reliable?

Sparmax Professional Mini Piston Airbrush Compressor (2.5 litre air tank)
This one is under £200, my favourite, thought it's well built and reliable.

Iwata Studio Series Smart Jet Plus Handle-Tank compressor
This one is over £250, do like it but can't help feeling I'm paying for the brand instead of the machine.

I'm pretty sure I'll go for the CS airbrush, is there anything extra needed to enable me start practising?

Is it ok using Liquitex airbrush medium to thin the paint for airbrush? Or I'd better buy some proper airbrush paint? Thank you very much for your guidance!

Rita
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Can't really comment on the compressors, no links to the products.. but if they come with a regulator with guage and water separator and have a tank you will probably be good to go. You can not go wrong with Iwata, you will get what you pay for. Considering you planed usage, I can see buying the middle of the road unit.
As to what else you need, a hose with the proper ends for the airbrush and a quick disconnect for the compressor end. Buy the 10' braided type, not the plastic coiled type.
You will need Liquitex airbrush medium to thin your paint for use in the airbrush. Properly thinned you will be fine. Please be prepared for a fairly frustrating learning curve when it comes to thinning and cleaning your brush. You won't be able to spray paint like a car painter or even like you do with a spray can. you have to constantly keep cleaning the tip of the air brush with a wet paint brush to remove the build up of paint on the needle tip. This is know as tip dry and is part of the art of using an airbrush.
I am sure it is not good etiquette but I would suggest you visit http://airbrushtechnique.com/ before you buy anything and look at the review section for products as well as the basic lessons. I don't frequent that site much anymore but it has valuable info for someone in your position.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Peak District, UK

Hails from England

Thank you for reminding me all the important things. Had a quick visit of the site and there's a lot to read and learn. I will be spending more time familiar with airbrush before rushing into buying anything, thank you!

Quote:
Can't really comment on the compressors, no links to the products..
That was very silly of me...sorry! Here are the links to those 3 compressors and some you'd need to scroll down to find the models. You had spent enough time answering my questions and it's greatly appreciated. If there's anything particular you don't like among these 3 models please let me know otherwise I'd probably pick one when time is due. Thank you Airscapes for all your help!

AB-AS186 Mini Piston type "0n-demand" compressor with receiver
http://www.everythingairbrush.com/ac...AS_Series.html

Sparmax Professional Mini Piston Airbrush Compressor(2.5 litre air tank)
http://www.everythingairbrush.com/ac...mpressors.html

Iwata Studio Series Smart Jet Plus Handle-Tank compressor
https://airbrushes.com/product_info....979a79ffd127f3
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

I would pick the middle one. Bigger the tank the better
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2012, 05:58 AM
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
I would pick the middle one. Bigger the tank the better

That is generally the case but with these small compressors, the motor is to small to keep the tank full while you are painting. The GMC or California air compressors are great value for money. They look like DIY compressors but are not much louder then these small airbrush comps. But seeing that you are in England, just look for any make that has the same motor/pump as you see on the GMC model. Here in South Africa I found a Lab-air and it uses the same motor. Every importer puts on their own logos.

http://www.gmcgenerators.com/?page_id=46

Last edited by AndreZA : 02-28-2012 at 06:03 AM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Peak District, UK

Hails from England

Thank you AndreZA for your suggestion! Sorry I haven't been here for a little while didn't realise you had reply my post. I understand there's a lot to learn before I am confident enough to buy any equipment. I'll try my best not to make any expensive mistake.