WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Classical Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 PM
A Local Legend
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Master copy/study - Van Dyck

fantastic !! ... and i'd imagine that if you gathered 100 images of the original there'd be discrepancies between them, too ... i think the values in the ruffle and the modelling of the ear are the only major touchups required ... it's awesome !!

#17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Germany

Hello Joseph,

I guess you are your own worst critic ...

The one item of your list that I had seen when I did the comparison last week was the highlight on the nose. I will also agree on the eyebrow/forehead transition and to slightly strenghtening some of the shadow areas. But you are not really thinking about changing the entire skintones at this point, are you? Wouldn't that amout to repainting the entire portrait?

It is already a very good copy!
(Better stop before you get annoyed with it... )

Susanne
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Montreal, Quebec

Hails from Canada

THanks Violet.

Thanks Susanne. Yes, I am my worst nightmare. lol. Yes, you are right about the highlight on the nose. Its too light.

I will do another pass (2nd painting) and going over the entire portrait is normal. Adjustments in color values can be done at this stage. The next layer is still opaque but I could play with the transparency. It is still better to do it opaquely at this stage. After 2nd painting, I will be doing scumbles and glazes but very minimal since they tend to yellow more in time.

I will post some updates soon.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Montreal, Quebec

Hails from Canada

Hey! James gurney, award winning illustrator & creator of Dinotopia has written an article about Van Dyck's portrait of Cornelis Van Der Geest. He explains why this is a masterpiece and also about the impasto and the technique behind it. I will have to try this!
Here is the link:
http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...sterpiece.html
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Montreal, Quebec

Hails from Canada

Hi everyone,
If you are in the greater Montreal area, I am giving a workshop on Classical portrait painting. I am in the North shore of Montreal. (Terrebonne) There is 8 classes of 3 hrs which will concentrate on copying a master work of art like Portrait of Cornelis van der Geest. Some other ones are self portrait of William Bouguereau (which is in Montreal Museum) and a study of a girl's head also by Bouguereau. Depending on the number of people signed up, It will be Thursdays or on Saturdays. IF you are interested please contact me.
English Poster.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 05:35 PM

Hails from Netherlands

Hi Josef, very nice work. You probably finished it already, but in the stage you showed here I suspect you would come closer to the original by glazing a shadow color over the whole thing lightly and then, with cooler colors do the lights of the flesh again. What do you think about it?
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Montreal, Quebec

Hails from Canada

Thanks Painting Bas. In the picture, It is not color corrected so it seems more yellowish compared to the reference photo. And Yes, I could glaze over. But I like not to glaze if possible since those glazes tend to yellow more over time. I like to mix just a bit of medium on the final or later stages to bind the pigment more and also it will not have the 'sink in' look. I made a comparison between the color correction, raw and jpg files. http://www.josefsy.blogspot.com/2011...jpg-files.html