WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 10:11 PM

Simon Schama's Power of Art and other shows

So, Simon Schama's show had a major impact on me. And was curious if anyone could recommend other shows along this same type?

Also anything like the great James Liptons Inside the Actors Studio?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Lord of the Arts
Otaki , New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Re: Simon Schama's Power of Art and other shows

How Art made the world - Nigel Spivey (BBC)

when I was in my early twenties we got a colour TV in the flat and Sunday nights were documentary night (only one channel) They ran four documentary series one after the other from the BBC. Although they are dated now I still watch them from time to time and bought the accompanying books. Civilisation - with Kenneth Clark, Connections - with James Burke, The Ascent of Man - with J Bronowski, and, a little later, Life on earth - with David Attenborough.

Art, technology, the philosophy of science, evolution - presented as history. Classics of their time and a major influence on my thinking. Even then I considered the first three a little ethnocentric (white and western), but individual visions worth hearing.

Alistair Cook's 'America' wasn't too bad but a just a bit triumphalist for my taste.