WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 11:23 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Re: Talking Heads -- Jan-Feb 2012

Dustonpaper, I'm really impressed by his drawings; he really has filled them with energy! I'm saving this for when I have a couple of hours to watch his painting demo.

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Surrey, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Talking Heads - A Chat Thread

The shortlist (only 4 paintings) for the BP portrait prize has been published here. Warning contains nudity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17608425

For some reason I find them very similar in a way though there is skill in evidence.

Blog Gallery
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Nathan -- thanks for posting. I agree to a similarity of style and the straight-on pose. Obvious to see what the judges like, or what is in vogue in portraiture.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast

Hi, This is my first time here, and I have a question. Do you folks discuss your work with your models, while you are working on the portrait, or after is't finished? Is that a good idea or not? What do you say when they ask about it?
Ella
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 PM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Ella- it truly depends on what the project is.
If it is a commission, then I will share the preliminary sketches, discuss the size and whether they want oil or pastel. I will show a work-in-progress with them if they ask- (they rarely do). Then all is revealed at the hand-over.
If it is our regular portrait group- the sitters are not familiar with what happens in a portrait painting- and sometimes ask about the materials we use, or they may ask about the experiences of the group.
Their reaction to the portrait sketch varies as to whether they like the result or not.
I have had some interesting comments while drawing portraits in a market- I don't think the onlookers think I can hear them! The model then likes it enough to buy- or if not it's all good practice.
If it is a paid model sitting for a portrait group- they sometimes ask questions about the process, but usually they treat it as a job and in their breaks they chat in a more general way.
I am totally unable to talk while I paint/draw- so when I give a demo- I draw some, explain the step, repeat.

#36   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2012, 10:08 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I wanted to share the news here: a woman won the first Prix de West award since 1978 yesterday - I think you'll like this painting! It is so nicely done!

http://newsok.com/photo/pid/1743286

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2012, 10:04 AM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Ella -- my experience would echo that of Bethany somewhat. It really depends on the situation and on the model. Some models are friends, and/or artists, and some are shyer than others. So, it depends so much on the situation. I would certainly be open to show my WIP to the model and to hear what s/he has to say. What I would do regarding their input would depend on what it was, how apt I thought it was, etc.

Nancy -- thanks for posting this! What an unusual painting! Very interesting, and an unconventional composition. I'd like to know more about it.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2012, 06:23 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

The National Portrait Gallery has now posted the 51 Exhibitors for this years Portrait Awards, in case you are interested,

Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits please.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast
BC

Hails from Canada

Does anyone know when the annual portrait swap starts here? I thought it was around this time.....

Thanks!!!
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Yes, it is almost that time of year again!

We'll get the call out in a week or so.
How it goes is:
We start a thread calling for those interested to let us know on the thread, with a deadline; usually around October 31.
Then, the Swap host (on of Portraiture's guides or moderators) matches up swap partners and posts that up.
Then we start a new thread of the Swap paintings and discussion.

Stay tuned!
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 12:49 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Bethany and Crafor, we have one model in our life drawing session who is a great model physically. But. she. won't. shut. up. And it's always some political rant.

I sorta wish she would get laryngitis the next time she poses. Many of our members come there to wind down from a hard day...

Lauren, this may be the first rant on Talking Heads! Am I bad?

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Nancy, we also have a male model who is great to hold some challenging physical poses. But he does rave on about some stream-of-consciousness stuff.
I actually asked him if it was ok that he not talk- as I couldn't concentrate (some of the topics he went on about were strong political stuff) I did wonder if he needed to prove that he had a mind as well as a flexible body?

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 AM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Poor you!
Our models don't really talk during the sessions -- except during break. Also, it isn't encouraged to carry on conversations when everyone is working. We tend to play classical music on the radio as background.

There is one local session where one of the hosts tends to prattle on, but he is rather a sweet old guy. I do know that some people don't go because they don't like to listen to him talk all the time.

As to your chatty models. Perhaps you could bring some nice filmy scarves and tell them that you want to try something new and differerent for the poses -- to tie them on like a gag -- just for the poses, though!
Might actually look interesting, and you don't need to tie them too tightly; just enough to hold them in place and cause the model to have to deal with their saliva on the scarf if they talk.... and you could say it adds some sort of artistic statement to the pose....
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 PM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Most of out portrait models are quiet but I prefer it when they are animated. That doesn’t mean moving around unduly just keeping some life in the face. To that end I have encouraged them to recite poems etc. Earlier in the year we had a well known play write who talked and asked us questions, he was the best model we had all year, his face was always alive. I can’t think of anything worse than working with a half asleep model.

Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits please.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 12:40 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

True, Dave!

I can relate to portrait models who have a hard time keeping their eyes open, and that some animation is helpful, and gives better insight into the model themself.

I've enjoyed when we've had musician models -- with their instrument -- who played them a bit.

However, with our groups, we need to accommodate everyone's preference, to a point. Even playing music can be contentious, which is why we now just play the radio on the classical station. Some people even object to the model wearing eye make-up, as they complain they can't see the eye detail!