WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Have you worked with cement as a sculpture medium?
Do you consider cement a serious sculpture medium? 153 81.38%
What are your experiences working with cement? 14 7.45%
Using color? 8 4.26%
Do you like leaving the cement finish natural to age? 13 6.91%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#2116   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Missouri

Hails from United States
Re: Cement as a sculpture medium.

Chyquita, Thanks so much! I love your work too, very whimsical and fun! Art should evoke some mood and yours definately brings a feeling of happiness! Yes it is concrete. I used 3 different integral colors in the mix and 2 different acid stains before finishing it with a clear gloss sealer.
  #2117   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2011, 06:25 PM
In the small Ozark Natl. Forest - Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hails from United States

Thank you for the wonderful compliment heathera . It is so good to hear that they inspire fun and good feelings! They are certainly meant to. I'm glad that they do. I think your work would look sooo good in anyones yard...especially mine, lol. Have you thought of advertising your work, to be built on location?
I would like to know where you get your acid, and how you apply it. Did you make a tutorial, or could you? When we first started this thread, we took and posted pict.s as we created out sculptures. I enjoyed watching them be created, and learned more that way.
Congratulations on wonderful pieces!l
  #2118   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2011, 08:19 PM

Hails from United States

To all my friends who have stood by me and supported me while I nit-picked over my polymer clay work, (for almost 2 years), I would like to present to you- 'Ribbon Dancer 1'. To complete her I had to learned to add hair to the back and top of a figures head, and sew the new 'metallic' material. FYI you have to have a special sewing machine needle and tissue paper! Even the ladies at the sewing center didn't know that one, (or were too busy to tell me).
I hope I don't offend the cement sculptor-ers, by displaying my polymer work, but I DO do cement sculptor too. I switch back and forth.
Now what to do next.
  #2119   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:16 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Next you need to pull the camera back and let us see the rest of the sculpture! I want to know what the ribbon's attached to and how she's standing, how she's mounted on the base (if she is), stuff like that. More pictures please! She's lovely - and boy, what a mass of hair she has! Beautiful work - you should've started your own thread with this one, I suspect, since she isn't made of cement.
  #2120   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2011, 05:19 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Next you need to pull the camera back and let us see the rest of the sculpture! I want to know what the ribbon's attached to and how she's standing, how she's mounted on the base if she is.
The ribbon is attached, (tied), to a key ring at the half way point.
I tied one end of the ribbon around her arm, and the other end around her leg.
Actually I do have a Yahoo group website called PlayingNmud. But since I love to see the work here, I like to share my Polymer work as well as my cement work here. My Yahoo group isn't as active.
I'm so pleased that you like my work. I hope to make 2 more, in different poses. That way there will be 3 Ribbon Dancers hanging around. (I think 3 is a nicely balanced number.)
  #2121   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2011, 05:36 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

I love the idea of three of them. They'll be like Cirque du Soliel then - I think they normally have 3 or 5 ribbon dancers at once, although if it's a "starring" act like one we saw in Vegas one time, there might be a LOT of "backup" ribbon dancers while the "star" is busy doing the big tricks. Thanks for sharing the other pictures! I'd love to see the whole set and how they're hung when they're finished!
  #2122   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2011, 07:33 PM

Hails from United States

Thank you for the info. on Cirque du Soliel, ArtsyLynda. I would love to take some photos at one of their shows, but I have never been able to see their acts live...yet. I did look at their website, and get some photos/ideas from them. I love the way they use the lights and costume colors to make everything 'pop'! (Saw them on T.V. once.)
Thank you for your interest, I would be honored to post the dancers as I get them done. But from the length of time this one took, it may be a while. However,My husband is trying to get me to finish them sooner. Two years is really too long to dilly-dally around on each one.
  #2123   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2011, 08:32 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Two years, huh? I've been there, done that with some pieces too. Frustrating, isn't it?

Look for Cirque videos on YouTube - there are probably some there. They do amazing things. If you're ever near a big city, they have shows all over the country - check 'em out! I know they're in Vegas and NYC now - dunno where else.

Their costumes are really wild sometimes - try to look at as many of the shows photos and videos as you can, because they're all different.

When you have more dancers to post, make a thread for them so folks can find them easily! I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be interested! Thanks for sharing!
  #2124   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2011, 02:47 PM

Hails from United States

Thank you again for the info. I will look them up on Youtube. Hadn't thought of that. their website to good, but general. When I get more Dancers I will keep your idea in mind. Thank you again for your encouragement.
  #2125   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2011, 02:57 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

I like your dancer and look forward to seeing more of them!
  #2126   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2011, 01:42 PM

Hails from United States

Hello friends! Miss talking with you guys. I have been working in Claremore, OK. While here I made friends with a man who opened a shop downtown. He wants to put art on his walls, so I suggested he get local artist who might need a new place to show their work. SSSSSSSo, to help him find good artist, I put a note in the acrylic medium forum, and thought I would let you know about it as well. Since we sometimes work in more than one meduim. Hope to met you there.
posted note: Calling all artist! I have a wonderful opportunity for you to show your work! A friend of mine has opened a furniture store and wants to fill his walls with art work from local artist. Local can mean anywhere in the surrounding states. He is quite a salesman, has just bought a building in downtown Claremore, OK. This is a quaint downtown with food, and a few antique stores. The new mural across the street is drawing much interest, and has inspired interest for his original artwork walls. Show me your work and lets get it out there to sell! (You might know Claremore, OK. as the home of Will Rodgers, the cowboy comedian.) Contact me as Nashonii@gmail.com. I'm not sure how long this offer will be available.
  #2127   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyquita
To all my friends who have stood by me and supported me while I nit-picked over my polymer clay work, (for almost 2 years), I would like to present to you- 'Ribbon Dancer 1'. To complete her I had to learned to add hair to the back and top of a figures head, and sew the new 'metallic' material. FYI you have to have a special sewing machine needle and tissue paper! Even the ladies at the sewing center didn't know that one, (or were too busy to tell me).
I hope I don't offend the cement sculptor-ers, by displaying my polymer work, but I DO do cement sculptor too. I switch back and forth.
Now what to do next.

for the polymer artist looking for information, probably would not look in the "cement" medium discussion.
  #2128   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Mother Earth

Hails from United States

Post #2128! Hellow everyone! I'm happy to see this thread I started is still alive and well. I received an email message I had inbox messages, so I've dropped in to say hello. I'm still creating with cement, also pottery, and mixed media works. I will make a better effort of checking in and see if they've made uploading photos easier directly from my computer.

Have a very Happy Holiday, everyone! Happy Sculpting!

Stephanie....formerly known as moondance, I changed to my studio nameInisheer Studio half way through this thread. I hope 2012 will bring good scultping for everyone.
  #2129   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Utah, United States

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by inisheerstudio
Post #2128! Hellow everyone! I'm happy to see this thread I started is still alive and well. I received an email message I had inbox messages, so I've dropped in to say hello. I'm still creating with cement, also pottery, and mixed media works. I will make a better effort of checking in and see if they've made uploading photos easier directly from my computer.

Have a very Happy Holiday, everyone! Happy Sculpting!

Stephanie....formerly known as moondance, I changed to my studio nameInisheer Studio half way through this thread. I hope 2012 will bring good scultping for everyone.

Hello Stephanie! Where's the website so we can see what you have been up to?
Thought I would check in here to find some old pics that I had posted on a special artist for piniterest. And saw you stopped in here

Jyn
  #2130   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2012, 07:53 AM

Hails from Canada

Hi all, just thought I'd finally pop my head in here. I made an account here solely so I could join this thread My name is Nicole, and I love creating art, but am always so nervous to do something completely wrong or use the wrong materials when trying a new medium.

I've followed this thread off and on for years wanting to try an outdoor cement sculpture, and it seems the time has finally come where I'm brave enough to try it!

I'm hoping I can lean heavily on you all for info to bolster my courage that I've got the right materials and am not going to just make a frustrated angry blob of cement

Thanks for making this wonderful thread!
~