WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2011, 11:58 AM
A Local Legend
Gainesville, MO

Hails from United States
Smile Church Windows

Since moving to a tiny town in the Ozarks, I've been volunteering to paint the church windows every month. Each month, we put up something that has to do with the series they'll be offering. Since our church is right on the Town Square, we get a lot of folks slowing down to look and see what I'm painting up there. At first, there was a lot of suspicion! But I find they are getting friendlier and friendlier each month. Last time, a nice man selling produce on the square even gave me a watermelon!

These aren't real complicated... just clear and eye-catching, at least that's the hope!

this was the first one. I think the folks in town were kind of hoping it meant our little "hippie" church was moving on! But it meant "I quit complaining, I quit making excuses, etc etc."

I did this in a side window. We were giving away clothing to the community to help them get ready for back-to-school. I got a little carried away. I started playing with the edges (the fine artist in me snuck back in for a moment), but it made everyone think the local teenagers had been messing with it. Oops! )

In August, they were going to talk about spending time as a family. When they told me they wanted a palm tree, I got all excited! I love to paint palm trees! You can't see the detail in this photo, but it came out pretty nicely.

This is the current window, for September. They are showing current movies and then relating them to our lives. I had fun painting this one. It's simple, but it was fun.

They just rented a second building on the square. The church is getting so big now, we are overflowing. Last night they asked me if I can see painting those windows. Of course! I'm excited! I love doing window splashes.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2011, 12:03 PM
A Local Legend
Gainesville, MO

Hails from United States
Re: Church Windows

Btw, with the Family Vacation one, I'm sure you all noticed the way the lettering got out of balance. (drives me nuts!) I learned that it's best to lay in the largest word first, and then lay out the word above it after that. It would have been easy to get them spaced correctly, but I blew it. However, this is a volunteer job, and it was so hot and miserable out there, plus it's only up for a month, PLUS probably most folks won't notice or care. So I decided to leave my OCD at the door and just leave it as it was. Chalk it up as a lesson for the next time!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:41 PM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

Yes, but the exclamation point balances everything, it looks fresh and spontaneous

So we have a few window "splashers" here in the forum (I've been known to do one now and then, too), what is your technique? Do you start with white and paint on top of that, and if so, what kinds of paints do you use? You paint on the outside, yes? How do you mark out the window before you paint, or do you just start painting?

Sorry, I'm a nosy kinda gal

Michele

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2011, 04:59 PM
A Local Legend
Gainesville, MO

Hails from United States

Thanks Michelle!

I'm using interior latex semi gloss paint. I bought a bunch of it at Home Depot, but I've learned that the more expensive paint I get at the building supply in my teeny little town, is much better quality. I'm also thinking that I'll get the matt finish next time, rather than the semi gloss. With some of the paint (especially that from Home Depot), that gloss makes the color float too much. I find myself going over it and over it just to try to get the color to fill in.

Back in Phoenix (and before that in California), I used to just use tempera paints for temporary window splashes (for Christmas). The weather allowed it. But here in the Ozarks, I wanted to use something that would be more durable in wet weather. We just went through some huge thunderstorms in the past weeks, and the paint held up just fine.

I think the colors may be a little more vivid when I paint in white first. I did that with the "I Quit" splash, and with the "Family Vacation" splash. But I was lazy with the "Soul Flix" one, and I didn't bother. Actually, I think it came out just fine without that extra step. I'm thinking I might not bother with it. However, if I was doing a splash that was intended to last for a good long time, I would take the time to do it in white first. Just to be doing my best.

Yes, I'm painting on the outside. When I first started helping out with the signs at church, they had been doing them on the inside. I tried to oblige for a bit, but I hated it. Plus, it didn't show up as well outside. After obtaining permission to go ahead and paint outside, I shifted back out there. (altho, during the winter, I might paint inside just so I don't freeze in the snow!)

I'm too lazy to draw out the lettering ahead of time. I stand out in front of the windows, and I visualize the lettering. Then I step up to the windows and just "pretend" that I am writing them out on the windows. It probably looks pretty silly to onlookers. I'm swinging my arm and pretending to write. Then I step back again and visualize it in my head again. Finally, I take my brush (or my roller) and just start laying out the letters.

Of course, if I were doing a sign that's meant to last for years, I probably would get out my painters tape, and measuring tape, and dry erase markers, and do it up properly. I used to paint signs when I was younger (much younger) and I was more careful back then. Now I just want to relax and enjoy myself and hopefully come up with something they'll like.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2011, 09:54 PM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

Thanks for the input about your techniques! I was "lol-ing" about your "pretend" lettering, because I've been known to do that myself Hey, I HATE doing permanent lettering, that is one thing I really like about splash, it's temporary and ok to mess up a little Thanks for sharing

Michele

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 AM
A Local Legend
Gainesville, MO

Hails from United States

Thanks Michelle. Omgosh, has it been 2 months since I checked into WC? Good grief. Oh well, I wanted to say this..

I agreed to paint two large permanent signs for a lady who is starting up a new business in town. I've been working on them at home. While I'm enjoying the ease at being in my own studio, I am not enjoying this at all. I guess in my younger days it wouldn't have fazed me. But now I am so unhappy with any tiny flaw. I'm nearly done, and good riddance when I am!

I was showing the signs to my daughter last night, and told her that I didn't want to do any more signs like this. She said, "Oh Mom, you know you will." --dang, she's probably right.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2011, 08:26 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

I did a number of signs at one point in my life. I measured the window out, then conjured a grid onto a large sheet of sketch pad. I then drew it out to scale first on a matching piece of old storm window glass. I then presented each one to the client, and after it was done, scraped the glass clean to design next week's ads. The client could hold the glass sheet in front of the window and"see" how the ad would look. I can still remember how much fun I had painting and talking to passers-by.

I like your works, fun and eye-catching, and it must be personally rewarding, thanx 4 posting, Greg
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2011, 07:33 PM
A Local Legend
So. California

Hails from United States

Very creative and nicely done

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70L &other Lenses, Speedlite 580EX, Alien Bee's lights, with wireless triggers and soft boxes umbrellas.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 AM

Your little palm tree is a cutie! I love palms.
Carmella
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Quebec, Canada

Hails from Canada

What a brilliant way to get attention! I never heard of window splashing before. It's great! Thanks for sharing your photos and your techniques.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 07:59 AM
Digital Universe

Well done! Thanks for sharing it