WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Nr. Congleton, South Cheshire

Hails from United Kingdom
Brusho and collage techniques WIP

Hello again! I thought I'd start a new thread here with a Brusho WIP I'm doing. I had a pretty good day and a very good start with this one.

I'm working on a Windsor and Newton canvas board, 18 x 14".

Last week I bought something wrapped in tissue paper, got very exited with the tissue paper and decided to see what Brusho would do on it. So this is preparation for something not yet decided. I painted a streak of silver enamel here and there on the tissue paper as a resist, then sprinkled and sprayed the various brusho colours over and here's the result:
Attached Images

Last edited by JayJay365UK : 02-13-2012 at 03:35 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Brusho and collage techniques WIP

I don;t know how to continue the same page/thread without replying to myself, so here's the next bit! LOL.

The tissues were various colours, I decided to use the cool and earth colours for what I had in mind. I still have a gold enamel/yellow greens reds to use on another project, but I didn't want it in this one.

Subject - yesterday I was looking through a book I have on Celtic Britain and came across a good photograph of a burial chamber, so I scanned that into my computer and printed it out, then enlarged it and printed it again. The enlarged photo was traced onto the canvas in pencil, then I stuck it to the wall for reference.
Attached Images

Last edited by JayJay365UK : 02-13-2012 at 03:32 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

....then I mixed up some PVA washable adhesive with a bit of water and started tearing and ripping the tissue and sticking it onto the canvas. I thought, with brusho being a waterbased media, which when wetted again after drying will carry on going/working/reconstituting, that I was going to end up with a soggy muddy mess... However, although it did start to move a little bit, it still retained the brightness of the individual colours as I slowly put it onto the board.

Well after that, in spite of the thrill of actually doing my first ever collage with a mostly uncontrollable medium, I completely lost the sketch! So I used a cut out of the photo and just stuck that on on top (I'm not fussy and this is an experiment anyway!)

So I ended up with a background of brusho+silver traces of enamel and an overlaid photograph....

Then I carried on pasting pieces of tissue over and around the photograph and was wondering what I could do about that photo once it had dried on.
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

The brusho carried on working a bit underneath the photo (just a printout on plain typing paper btw) and it bled through onto the photo and gave me some special effects - and this is what I ended up with!

Now I need someone to tell me what to do next! LOL!! Do I need some more brown on the left hand side to balance it up? Do I need shadows? A tree, perhaps to the left hand side?

Any ideas, criticisms, etc gratefully received. Of course, I will probably overdo it and end up with mud. Thanks for bearing with me so far!
Attached Images

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Update: took it along to my local art club and let the other members look at it today. Yes, it needs some more brown at the bottom and the other side to balance, and a bit of light letting in on the opposite diagonal to the light bit on the right hand side, was the verdict. Anyone have any more thoughts? Thanks in advance
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado

Hails from United States

JayJay, not sure what else to do with it since it depends on what you are trying to achieve. Since the photo has light from the front left, you might add a hint of shadow on the right side of the stones. I was also going to suggest that the light in the center of the stones should be darkened but the more I look the more I like it as is. It draws attention to the area framed by the stones. I don't think it needs anything on the left.
Doug
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for that, Doug! I'm just trying to 'ground' the photo really - at the moment it looks like it's 'floating' and I was after a sky-stones-ground type landscape effect, I think!

However, a lot of peeps at the art club said it looked fine just as it was, so not a lot of help there!

Really appreciated your take on it. All comments will be considered!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2012, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

Hi, now grounded a bit and areas highlighted/darkened in places.

The photo isn't good, the colour has washed out at the bottom, it's a lot better in real life! The chamber looks as though it's grounded on bedrock now. LOL! Be interested to hear what you think.

I'm intending to just add a few details with a line pen, and add a bit more silver to the 'tree'.

Also posted in the WIP section.
Attached Images

Last edited by JayJay365UK : 02-18-2012 at 06:00 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Brusho and collage techniques WIP - FINISHED!

I'm calling this one finished!

I overlaid a lot more tissue to the sky, this time sprayed with silver enamel before putting the brusho onto it as the dolmen had got a bit lost with dark colours behind it.

Highlighted the foreground with silver and black pens.
Highlighted bits of the 'tree' with brown ink.
Quite pleased with it overall!
Attached Images

Last edited by JayJay365UK : 03-02-2012 at 06:32 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast
Colorado

Hails from United States

I quite like your final result. It has a starkness to it that I find appealing. The contrasts work quite well.

Doug
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Doug!

How are your tiles coming along? Can't wait to see the finished article!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado

Hails from United States

Got some color added but not really enough to show yet. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to get some done.

Doug
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 PM
WC! Guide
Palmdale, CA

Hails from United States

Wow -- wonderful texture and contrast!!! Calling it done was a good call -- it IS finished and with flair!!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member

Hi to you both - and thank you for your comments! Yes I'm really pleased with the way this one turned out myself! I've put it in the gallery bit, just to see what others think.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 06:06 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

What you do with texture and mixed media is really interesting. Such creative results.
Derek