WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Lord of the Arts

do you need to be a certain genre or type?

i like to think abut building a portfolio, but i wouldnt know where to start. i life still lifes and portraits.... am i supposed to pitch my work to a certain subject?

i dont know about illustration at all.

do i just be me and put it all into a portfolio and then see if any client would want to use me or what?

its not that i seriously think ill make it, i just think it would be a nice project to do and i would only persue it if i thought my portfolio was good. as per usual- if its not good enough none of it goes anywhere beyond facebook and WC.

but illustration might be worth investigating for me....as im not really into big oil paintings that costs fortune to make etc etc etc.

many thanks

kate
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Elk Grove Village, IL

Hails from United States
Smile Re: do you need to be a certain genre or type?

Hi Kate,

When I graduated from college with a BFA in Illustration, our instructor had us think about what we really liked doing. Then gear your portfolio towards that end. Start with a great piece and end with a great piece. And if possible great pieces in between. You really don't want to have to do a lot of art that doesn't really float your boat! So if you are in to still lifes and portraits do those. Don't include machinery if you don't like to do it. Then again even after you do that it may backfire. I was called in to do a piece for a company. They wanted me to do an airbrushed piece of a machine. Now mind you, my portfolio has no airbrush pieces in it because I don't do airbrush. And I am no good at machines.

Just be objective when trying to find strong pieces that really show off your ability and you should be fine.

The other thing is to see if you can get great copies of the original pieces and use those for your portfolio. You don't want your portfolio to disappear with all your originals in it. You would be sunk!!

Good luck,
Maggie
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2011, 12:53 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States
Re: do you need to be a certain genre or type?

Have you taken any illustration courses in college?

Are you thinking along commercial corporate illustration (advertising, products, etc)or are you interested in book and magazine illustrations?

I'm interested in this topic, too. Looking forward to the posts that you generate,

Greg
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Dublin

Hails from Ireland

My heart lies with illustration but like kate I havent a clue where to begin, looking back over the past year my work has been portraits always working from photographs and I'm quite depressed that I dont use my imagination a whole lot anymore, is there any exercises you guys can share that are intended to get the imagination working ? I too want to build a nice portfolio to show around and who knows maybe something good will come of it
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

I was just reading a book called "Drawing from your Imagination," Ron Tiner, very good! It also recommends doing life drawing from models, I've been practicing that for about 7 years weekly, the best experience I've had, and I'm totally hooked! You might be surprised that a group like ours meets where you live.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 AM
Eastern Washington State

If you are building a portfolio for illustration make sure you have work that demonstrates not only your drawing ability but also your ability to paint other mediums such as Oils, Acrylic, Gouache, and Watercolor.

Art Directors will want to see those things beside Pen & Ink and Pencil renderings. They will want to see that you can use color and composition effectively even though the potential work they want you for is in Black & White.

One of my favorite illustrators got his start doing wildlife art but it wasn't until he crossed over into Fantasy & Science Fiction Art that he got a name for himself.

For a starting portfolio I would have a wide range of subjects and not more than 15 to 20 portfolio pieces.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2012, 01:22 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Your portfolio should reflect your strengths--its like a resume' you know so it needs to highlight your best work and if you don't do genre well, then personally I would not include it.

The people looking at your photos need to know your technical profficiencies as well so examples in different media should reflect in your portfolio as well.

Also and finally, more and more potential employees are looking online in advance of interviews so you should have an online portfolio as well. I'm working on that myself--I have years to catch up...sigh.....
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2012, 10:35 PM

The classic book, "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards, is a good place to start.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 04:05 PM
San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

be yourself. there is no one else like. go with your intuition and what is important to you. realize the only real limitation out there is the one you put on yourself. dont give up!