WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast
Rural Manitoba

Hails from Canada
3D Folded Blocks

As per your request, Jen! A new thread about 3D folded blocks...

My friend Geesje and I are both a little fabric crazed , so after years of getting together once a week or so to stitch, design, dye, paint ... we started writing a book... 70 3D blocks based on traditional 2D block designs, plus a dozen or so projects to use them in... and then, lots and lots of late nights later...

The book will be released next May by AQS, a full 2 years and 5 months since we starting brain storming for project ideas! Feels like forever!

Anyway, here's one of my favourite projects, a bell pull... I always loved the woven, cross-stitched and embroidered ones hanging in the corners of my mother's, grandmother's and aunties' homes, so I decided I'd try to make my own version. This is a pic of the top three blocks, so you can see the shadows the folds make...

And here's a picture of a little purse that we'll hopefully be teaching at an AQS show next year, fingers crossed!

I didn't have much in the house for a strap, but when I was sorting through closets last week, I came across an old pair of suspenders that I'd had since... well forever! I knew right away what I was going to use the clips for!

Anyway, to make the blocks, you start with a base square and then fold squares, triangles and rectangles to create the shapes needed to reproduce the layout of a 2D block. The more layers involved, the thicker the block, so they're quite sturdy, especially with a quilted layer behind them. We even made a little box with a hinged lid ... perfect for the new challenge!

We're working on a new batch of projects while we're waiting, and looking everywhere for places to put new blocks!

Anyway, Jen, ... and anyone else who pops by... pretty soon my darling offspring will start peeping, so it's time to make snacks and start thinking about dinner...

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 05:27 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: 3D Folded Blocks

This is lovely. I like the purse. I'm not such a good quilter, but this looks intriguing. You going to post the box over in the challenge thread?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast
Northeast Tennessee

Hails from United States

This is lovely work! Thanks for the eye feast, beautiful!

I am made in God's image so I create.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Enthusiast
Rural Manitoba

Hails from Canada

Thanks Debby & Bonnie!

If by quilting you mean the step before binding a quilt, Debby, I know what you mean!

Before we started this book, I just couldn't get the knack of machine quilting and didn't have the time or patience to hand quilt (I just had Geesje quilt my stuff! shhhh ). So quite a few of the projects that I designed didn't involve a stitch of quilting! Eventually I did have to buckle down and learn how, but because the blocks are too thick to quilt, lots of the book is quilting free, like the bell pull. The purse too, but it's not in the book.

To make a block, the block pieces are pressed and positioned layer by layer, and you only stitch around the outside edge. Quite simple. But there are a few tricks to passing bulk like that through your machine without the layers shifting, especially once you get beyond the 4-step blocks. But it's definitely not hard to learn... we even tested the class on some guinea pigs!!!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland

Lovely work Esther
the bell pull ( klukku strengur ) is just abfab.
Looking forward to the book
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Enthusiast
Rural Manitoba

Hails from Canada

Thanks Sigrun! I think it's the colours of the klukku strengur that do it for me... plus I love that top block. It's called Sandhills.

By the way, Debbie, if you want to give that purse a try, I could post the pattern... once I've written it, that is And sure, I'll post the little box too, over in the challenge thread!

Time to put the kiddies to bed... first day back to school tomorrow (I know, we're a day behind everywhere else for some reason).
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2009, 01:51 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Esther you are a marvel!! This is fascinating work. And congratulations on the book. Such work. Probably far more than you ever imagined!

These are both beautiful pieces. The 3D effect is intriguing. And of course the harmony of the colors in both. The suspenders is a GREAT idea!

Yes, please at some time, if you are willing, share a pattern. I say this with all respect of you and others selling, and rightfully needing to protect, their creative talents, be it finished works, workshops, patterns or publications. Be comfortable saying no, too.

Wet Canvas is interesting in that as a community we encourage sharing and want to learn from others WIP and patterns and advice. We like to celebrate and support the success of our friends here online, and yet we must avoid sales aka promoting and soliciting or direct links per the User Agreement. Sometimes it is a paradox, and a balancing act!

I really hope the AQS workshop happens... and it will be exciting in May when the book comes out. In the meantime anything you are up to share here would be wonderful. Or want to try us out on us as guinea pigs.... squeak squeak You have a built in audience here, for an online workshop!!

And now I am looking forward to your box....

Jen
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Enthusiast
Rural Manitoba

Hails from Canada

A marvel? Aw shucks! But truthfully, it was a survival technique. Kids can keep you busy caring for them, but working on a book kept my brain busy too, which kept me from worrying and over thinking things! Writing and creating are soooo therapeutic!

I thought about the pattern thing yesterday, but the purse isn't in the book and the design isn't anything most sewers couldn't figure out on their own, so I can't see why AQS would object, though I'm not an expert at contract law . So I have no problem sharing it, with the usual condition that no one uses it to make profit for themselves... teach a friend, give one away, even use it as a Girl Guides project... but they shouldn't be popping up at craft fairs

As for the regulations bit, luckily AQS takes care of marketing, so I don't need to, thank goodness. I just read through my opening message though... I hate reading my writing. I always sound so stiff when I'm trying to make sense and include everything the pressure My intent was to give Geesje credit for this thread too. Is there a way to edit it at this point?

(For the challenge, I think I'm going to try to make a new box, since I didn't construct the book's version.)

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Springerville, Az.

Hails from United States

I'm so glad I found you by accident. I was gifted the 3D Folded Block book and have been addicted ever since. I entered 2 Christmas ornaments (folded blocks) in the co. and state fair and won 1st place in both. Since I am new to this WC I have no idea how to share a picture of the ornaments. If someone will walk me thru the process I share. The Wag
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2012, 01:13 AM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Hi wag, and welcome.

Once you have made a few initial replies, you can post pictures. Use the icon that is yellow with the mountain and sun. Images are limited to 800 x 800 pixels.

It would be great to see your folded blocks!

Jen
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Springerville, Az.

Hails from United States

Jen,
Happy Valentines Day. I found the yellow icon with the mnt. & sun but could not send. A note says there is a problem with the Wetcanvas database. I got up early frosted my sugar cookies and drizzled with chocolate. I also made chocolate covered strawberries for a shower I have with my quilt group. Have a wonderful day.
Sandy
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 01:14 PM

Oh wow so beautiful! Gives me an itch to get back into quilting.