WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2011, 02:03 PM

Composion N Painings

HI THERE
Can ou please tell me what is good coposition and what is bad allso how can i be sure i get the composion right all of the time?.
FROM PAUL
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2011, 03:02 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium
Re: Composion N Painings

Paul -
You don't expect some magic trick explained in 10 or 20 lines in this thread, do you?

You could start with some threads and articles on WetCanvas:
-- the two sticky threads at the top of this forum
-- http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/1805/333/
-- http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564853

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2011, 05:09 PM
A Local Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Michael Newberry, a Wet Canvas member, and professional artist once offered one of the most general, and useful "rules" of composition that I ever heard. After observing many of the popular, old masters' paintings, he determined that each one of them had one thing in common--each of them had some "interesting shape" in each of the 4 corners of the painting.

This does not mean that one should put a bird in one corner, a rock in one corner, a tree branch in one corner, etc., etc. An "interesting shape" can merely be a difference in values in a sky, or the ground or water.

That really doesn't seem like much of a "rule", and it is not very "profound", but since I have been concentrating upon including such a concept in my paintings, I've noticed a bit more successes in terms of their appeal. It is also one "rule" or "suggestion" of composition that is relatively easy to accomplish for most any artist, and if there were ever to be a general, "rule of compositon explained in one easy lesson," this would be it.

I am conscious of this "rule" every time I create a painting, and to me it has seemed to be good advice, based upon my experience with using it.

I think if one were to combine this simple "concept" with several other, more widely recognized, and often taught rules of composition, one would be well on their way toward the completing of more appealing paintings. And, if there were to be any rule of composition that I would suggest using nearly every time, this would be the one.

Last edited by WFMartin : 08-28-2011 at 05:19 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2011, 04:41 AM

Thankyou
FOR You Advise It IS Very Easy To Uderstand
From Paul
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2011, 12:45 PM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Take a look at this article, you might find it helpful perhaps?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/1805/333/
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2011, 01:45 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

Go to school.
Take classes.
Learning about Art is not an Internet thing.
Interaction with others in a real-life setting is invaluable.
Even just a few classes at a community college or local art center will teach you more than just reading can ever do.

but read. buy every used art book you can afford and read them.
then practice. and practice. and practice.
and copy the Masters.
then post your attempts and you will grow from the experience.

and use spellchecker, it will help us understand you...

Greg
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2011, 12:14 AM
A Local Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

A good composition is one that has its own internal logic... that makes sense for the painting and intentions of the artist. A good composition leads the eye of the viewer to that which the artist feels in most important (focal point) but doesn't leave the viewer "trapped" in this single point, but rather continues to lead the eye around the painting through the use of line, value, contrast, etc...

Rather than "rules" you should look at paintings and ask yourself where is you eye being led and how has the artist achieved this? The composition.... the mechanics... the manner in which the artist leads us to "read" a painting is the result of decisions made employing the various art elements and principles. Recognize that every "rule", such as Bill's 4 corners rule, has endless exceptions:

I personally like to employ a triad of three main focal areas to create a degree of movement while utilizing a harmony of 2 or 3 contrasting/complimentary colors. But that is just me. What works for you is dependent upon your manner of working, your intentions, etc...
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2011, 04:51 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

StLukesguild...terrific explanation. Would you allow me to quote you on my blog when i get around to talking about composition?

And for the poster........I recommend Greg Albert's book "the Simple Secret to Better Painting". It is very user-friendly, but has very sound advice and help for someone hoping to improve the design/composition of their paintings.

J
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2011, 07:41 PM
A Local Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Recognize that every "rule", such as Bill's 4 corners rule, has endless exceptions:

Absolutely. That's why I also mentioned.....
Quote:
I think if one were to combine this simple "concept" with several other, more widely recognized, and often taught rules of composition, one would be well on their way toward the completing of more appealing paintings.

I'm only pointing out that this is one concept which has helped me immensely, as well as being comparatively easily understood, and almost immediately applicable.

Last edited by WFMartin : 10-17-2011 at 07:47 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Eastern Washington State

A good composition will have a focal point whereas a bad one won't have a defined central focal point. Of course, this rule is thrown out if you consider Dadaism and Surrealism, where the artists tried throwing the "rules" out.

But Jackson Pollock and other Abstract Expressionists don't use focal points and yet they have good compositions? How's that possible, you ask?

I believe one way of answering that is to say that they intended the entire work to be the focal point instead of a section or portion of the work.

Is a composition always logical? or follow form? No. But most good ones do. Sometimes you have to get into the mind of the artist to really understand his logic or motivations.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2012, 09:00 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump11
HI THERE
Can ou please tell me what is good coposition and what is bad allso how can i be sure i get the composion right all of the time?.
FROM PAUL

I have an old archived article I put together for Wetcanvas long time ago...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Composition/UsingIt/

I believe this will give you some sense...
also, when the series is released by F&W (owners of Wetcanvas), I taught a five week online virtual classroom on Go To Meeting on Fundamentals, "...For Reasons Paintings Work"...

should be available soon this coming Feburary...and I spent the very first session especially hammering on composition concepts...
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2012, 11:14 AM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

I have a question.

IS the thread just about information on making a good composition ot can an image be posted for others to look at and comment for input on the composition?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolkay
I have a question.

IS the thread just about information on making a good composition ot can an image be posted for others to look at and comment for input on the composition?

I suggest starting a new thread that way we can discuss the composition of your piece solely.

Buddha suggests to those who need inspiration for their art to go before a perfectly blank wall until it's design, compostion, and subject reveal itself. -Jack Rutherford
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 AM

I also wanted to know about the composition and here i got great information. Thanks.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild
A good composition is one that has its own internal logic...

Below:

Corot's painting 'The island and Bridge at San Batolomeo'
Designed in a dynamic 'phi' rectangle (showing armature of design)
Attached Images

Last edited by R00TER : 09-29-2012 at 03:25 PM.