WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Inspirational Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2010, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
brr cold!??

Re: Icons & Iconography

Hi celadonite

You probably know of this site: Icon Technique
http://www.atelier-st-andre.net/en/p...e_summary.html

There is a pile of info from beg to end. I have no experience in this method.

Thanks again for your help, It is nice thread you have going.
  #107   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Artists Are Never Annoying Until They Come OUT of Their Studios.

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bis007
Hi celadonite

You probably know of this site: Icon Technique
http://www.atelier-st-andre.net/en/p...e_summary.html

There is a pile of info from beg to end. I have no experience in this method.

Thanks again for your help, It is nice thread you have going.

They've got some nice info, well worth looking at.

Thanks for your kind comments!

Sorry for the absence from this thread...been involved in preparing for some chess tournaments and not much time for this thread! Hope to be back soon.
  #108   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2010, 11:47 AM

Hails from United States

I'm still immersed in chess studies while previously painted icons cure.

I've had an icon returned to my studio recently--the owner dropped it and damaged it, so it'll need repairs/restoration. Much harder and not nearly as much fun as simply painting a new icon, but interesting in itself.

Anyways, just wanted to check in to this thread and wish everyone well--hope you all had a nice Summer! If any reader has any questions, PM me and I'll get back to you.

Back to the chess board for now, while the resolution of the damage to that returned icon develops in the back of my head.
  #109   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2011, 02:11 PM

Hails from United States

Just wanted to check back in, and mention to any readers who might stumble upon this thread to feel free to pm me with questions if they have any--I'll be happy to respond and hopefully able to assist or suggest.

I'm still vacationing from actively painting--the eye trouble I had previously seems to require that I put less strain on my eyes than previously--we have to adjust as we age!

I'm considering practicing watercolors, in hopes that the glare from the paint would be less than it was with egg tempera.

Anyways, best wishes to all--the thread's not dead, simply I've little in the way of new painting to add to it.
  #110   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast
the Deep South!

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: Icons & Iconography

I LOVE this thread! I don't paint Icons in the strictest sense; however, I do incorporate a lot of the symbolism into my religious AND nonreligious pieces. I LOVe your Icons! They are absolutely gorgeous and remind me of one of my favorite quotes:

"I sketch and paint Christ and the sufferings of Christ in churches, in homes, in public squares and on icons, on linen cloth, in closets, on clothes, and in every place I paint so that men may see them plainly, may remember them and not forget them… And as thou, when thou makest thy reverence to the Book of the Law, bowest down not to the substance of skins and ink, but to the sayings of God that are found therein, so I do reverence to the image of Christ. Not to the substance of wood and paint — that shall never happen… But, by doing reverence to an inanimate image of Christ, through Him I think to embrace Christ Himself and to do Him reverence… We Christians, by bodily kissing an icon of Christ, or of an apostle or martyr, are in spirit kissing Christ Himself or His martyr." ~ Leontius the Hierapolian

#111   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2011, 09:54 PM

Hails from Canada

Very Beautiful. I grew up in the Russian Orthodox Church and was always surrounded with icons.

Beautifully painted.
  #112   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2011, 12:02 AM

You are so generous , and a master .
I appreciate deeply yor talent and kindness for sharing a such beauty.
God Bless You,
  #113   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2011, 12:06 AM

DO I have to carve the wood, before to aply the glue?
Thanks for your attention
Zizi
  #114   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Tahlequah, Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I am a watercorist and oil painter. I have been drawn to Iconography for a number of years. I am a recent convert to the Roman Catholic Church. The possibility of combining my faith with my art is an attractive concept. Vamos a ver.
www.jeraldpeterson.com
  #115   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2011, 08:35 AM

Hails from Greece

How did I ever miss this thread? I love your work, I've always loved the russian style icons.

To answer your initial question, yes, I also make icons, although I am trained in both the orthodox and the "western" kind of art. Which makes me feel blessed beyond words, because you get so much knowledge combined.

Having said that, it is such a different frame of mind for each different style. I've been trying to combine the two for my "secular" style, so to speak, which basically means I have to go back to the era of underpaintings etc.

I was thinking something like this: tempera pigment with acrylic medium/glue, different underpainting for each part of the painting (like an icon), but the realistic treatment and finish. Am I describing the renaissance method of painting?

Anyway, the hagiography technique is full of depth, both technical and spiritual, making me feel that art is spiritual and that I participate in a community of people that speaks the same languange, a community that transcends space and time. Do I make sence?

Hope to see more of you!

#116   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 AM

Hails from Greece

I forgot: my inspiration and most beloved manual on icons is Photios Kontoglou' s book called Ekphrasis (expression). Since he wrote it of course there have been more recent and improved books on the subject (and I have most of them), but he is an absolute point of reference for every one.

He stressed the importance of humble crafstmanship and he connected the spiritual life of an artist to his art and his real life. His book is very poetic and almost mystical, but never confusing. I bet you know him, but if you don't you should really find that book. He is THE master for greek iconwriters.

#117   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Romania

Hails from Romania

Did you know about this one? I did a quick search and found no results.

Prosopon youtube channel - iconography techniques

If it's a duplicate just ignore, otherwise enjoy
  #118   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2011, 01:38 AM

Hails from Greece

This is wonderful. You can also search youtube giving this word

αγιογραφια

which means hagiography, and you'll get all sorts of great videos.

#119   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Canton, OH

Hails from United States

I am so thrilled to have found this thread! I have been painting icons for about three years now, and I am finally beginning to feel like I "get it". It is a source of prayer and meditation for me. It is so hard to find places to discuss technique and the like.
One thing I was wondering is where do you get the patter ns for icons? I have read that one way is to simply copy an existing icon that we like. How does this translate into the modern age? What about copying icons found online- does that violate copyright laws? There are so many beuatiful icons to work from but I don't want anyone coming after me with their attorney.
  #120   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2012, 04:55 AM

Hails from Greece

You can get them from books, from paper icons sold in religious shops (here in Greece), or from the internet! Copying is in fact not only safe but it's not even considered cheating, since it's the hagiographer's best way of learning, not to mention a sort of duty not to change the "right" way of an icon. Don't forget it's a religious art, fully functional in the Orthoodox church, which means that originality is only ok as far as it doesn't deviate from the dogma. So copy your heart away, no problem!

My advice though would be to make the drawing yourself, after an old icon. Tracing does not help you become better. But it is an accaptable method, so don't worry.

It's a very different philosophy from western painting, totally different. It's liberating not to feel obliged to be original all the time. I think it's great to be fluent in both traditions!