WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Northern California

Hails from United States
E Aloha E

Hello all, It's been a while since I've posted so I picked up the pencils and started drawing again. Here is my latest. It's called "E Aloha E" which ids the formal way to say aloha or welcome. This is 16x20 Prismas done on pastelbord with a Neocolorr underpainting. I'm basically done. I just need to sign it, varnish it and frame it. Comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking. Dave
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2012, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member
Manila, Philippines

Hails from Philippines
Re: E Aloha E

Very impressive work, it's nice you've put in some close up pics, the details are amazing

Bleuie's Colored Pencil Garden Facebook
DeviantArt
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 AM
PA

Hails from United States

Beautiful, soft colors!

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 AM
A Local Legend
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Just wonderfully done..it brings me back in time. Your greens are stunning and the woman is just perfectly rendered...Beautiful.
Would like to ask, you mentioned varnishing it...would you mind telling me with what and the advantages of doing that, trying to learn all I can..

Elaine

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Northern California

Hails from United States

Thanks for the nice comments. I really appreciate them. To answer your question Elaine, I varnish my drawings with a UV blocking coating or varnish that helps the lightfastness and protects the drawing. I work on a rigid Pastelbord made by Ampersand that actually helps speed up the process of colored pencil (which can take months to complete sometimes). I first block in all the colors that I choose with Neocolors and then wash the color in with water to eliminate all the white of the board which gives me a a solid color underpainting. Then I start using the colored pencil. I lay down just enough pigment and I blend it with brushes. This helps spread the color and eliminates the pencil strokes to get smooth, soft results. I use either a spray varnish by Golden or Krylon. They are both UV resistant. You can choose gloss or matte finish. I usually apply 4 to 6 thin coats, letting each one dry completely between coats. After it is varnished and dry, I frame it without glass or mats. I pop it into a frame myself and save alot of money on the framing. I was a professional framer for several years so I know how outragous the prices can be for framing. I hope this helps to answer your question. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Thanks, Dave
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2012, 04:37 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Awww, love it! Congrats on a successful piece!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Enthusiast
Germany

This is very beautiful!
-----------
Angela
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
Desert Southwest

Hails from United States

Very nice!

http://pat-erickson.artistwebsites.com/
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 AM
Enthusiast
Nottinghamshire, UK

Hails from England

I loved this when I saw it on the other forum and I love it here. Its brought a great bit of warmth to the cold winter here.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2012, 09:14 AM
A Local Legend
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Thank you so much for answering me Dave...Ampersand Pastelbords..well these are just about the only thing I use...to paint on with acrylics, blending is so fantastic but they're kind of gritty don't they rather eat up your pencils???
I have a few small 5x7 panels I just have to give it a try..and get some varnish. I know another favorite of my artists here, Carol, uses a brush to blend so far I haven't had much luck with doing that but must persevere especially with the poly's. Like the idea of no glass in a frame and oh yes frames are killers in prices. I've used Krylon before but not on cp's...you have given me a wealth of info, thanks too for telling me how you start to finish. Never too old to learn I say...haha me that is.

Elaine

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 AM

Hails from United States

What a wonderful piece of art and great information another go for Ampersand Pastelbords, I have to try this. I have an 8x10 sitting in the draw for a long time now. Someone was just asking about varnishing in another thread too.
Thank you for sharing it is a beautiful landscape!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Driggs, Idaho

Hails from United States

Nice job! You really nailed the Hawaiian mood. Well done.