WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Wearable Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2005, 02:25 PM

Question on Rosary and Prayer Bracelet design.

Hi everyone,

I want to design rosasry and prayer bracelets, especially to have them available over the holidays. I want to understand how to design them. I have looked on the internet, and I think I have the idea, but I would like to know what I am exactly doing.

It appears the Rosary bracelets are 10 beads spaced evenly apart, and then a few spaces over one last bead-which is a total of 11. Does it matter how many spaces over the 11th bead is?

Prayer bracelet-I have seen several designs with 10 beads and then others with more beads?

I have searched the internet on information how to design them but find nothing. I'd appreciate any information. Thank you.

Jeanette Ryan
Blix Designs
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Cumberland, PA

Hails from United States
Re: Question on Rosary and Prayer Bracelet design.

Long ago I went to catholic school and I remember that the beads on the rosary stand for certain praryers, one bead, one prayer. Check the web for rosary prayers, count the number of prayers and compair them to a rosary. That might help you determine the numer of beads.

You might also check your local yellow pages and see if there is a chatholic shop in your area (like a catholic book store) if you stop in and tell them what you are trying to make they might be more than happy to help you. You might even find a source for selling them too! :-)

Maybe someone else will be more helpful here too.

-Jen

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads. -Erica Jong
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast
Beautiful Southern Coast of Maine

Hails from United States

Depends on whether you want Catholic rosaries or another denomination. There are also chaplets which are smaller versions. They can be strung or wire wrapped, and can be used as jewelry or simply for prayer. I've made a number of rosaries and chaplets over the last couple of years for family members. It's incredibly rewarding.

www.rosaryworkshop.com is a great resource. The magazine Belle Armoire did an article on rosaries and chaplets in the winter of 2003. I don't know if the article can be found online, but perhaps the magazine issue can be ordered. There are lots of resources out there, you just have to do a little bit of work to find them.

Catholic rosaries are made up of decades. There are four sets of decades (10 "Ave" beads - I use 8mm for these) separated by 4 "Pater" beads (I use 10 mm for these). This would make up the large portion of the rosary. There is then a connector which is a Y shaped medallion. On the bottom part of the Y are 2 Pater beads with 3 Ave beads in between. At the bottom of this string is the cross or crucifix. The first one I made was for my mother's 60th birthday. I used 8mm round aquamarine Swarovski crystals for the Aves, vintage metal & rhinestone Swarovski 10 or 12 mm beads for the Paters. I found these beads in each of her 6 grandchildren's birthstone colors. I chose a SS fleur de lys for the connector and a SS Celtic cross for the cross. My mother is French and Irish. I then attached 4mm Swarovski bicones on headpins to the 2 sides of the connectors representing my husband & me, my brother & his wife, my father & mother & both of my grandmothers (they are wonderful friends and the only immediate family my parents have as both are only children with fathers not involved in their lives). This gift means the world to my mother.

The rosary I made for my grandmother was buried with her this past February.

A chaplet looks like a bracelet; it has one Pater bead with 10 Ave beads, with a cross/crucifix or other religious medallion attached. I made one for my grandmother for her 88th birthday with 8mm round amethyst (her birthstone)Swarovski crystals for the Ave beads, a beautiful amethyst glass lampworked lentil bead by Kim Watanabe for the Pater bead & a St. Therese medal. My grandmother's middle name is Theresa and my youngest daughter did research and took the name as her Confirmation name. My grandmother was quite touched.

I made a Salvation keychain for a friend who is a Christian a couple of years ago for her birthday. I used different shapes of 8mm Swarovski crystals in the 7 colors for the prayer beads & attached a SS prayer box to it. She loved it. I made it as a keychain because the only piece of jewelry she wears is her cross. She attached her key to her church to it.

Hope this helps!

One last thought - on the Pater beads the Lord's Prayer is said; on the Ave beads, the Hail Mary is said (at least in the Catholic faith). One more thought (cripe, this is my 3rd edit!) There is a book I have called (I think, I'll have to check) On a String and a Prayer. It's a wonderful book for making prayer jewelry.

In loving memory of TJ, 2/28/85-5/9/04. We'll never forget your beautiful smile.

Last edited by GardensOnGlass : 10-05-2005 at 07:29 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2005, 07:28 PM

Thank you Jen and Lori. Lori, your rosaries sounded so beautiful and I can imagine how much they were cherished. Thank you so much. This helps..I need to read your post again though!

Jeanette
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Ooopps! I added to my post, check it again. I thought when I was editing, it was pulled, but I guess not!

In loving memory of TJ, 2/28/85-5/9/04. We'll never forget your beautiful smile.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Here's a link to that book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...02225?v=glance

and a link I had in my Favorites:

http://www.rosary-artisans.com/

I thought I had a couple more, but can't find them at the moment.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2005, 07:50 PM

Lori, thanks so much for the link to the book! What a great resource for religious jewelry and to learn more. I am definitely going to purchase. Thanks again.

Jeanette
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2005, 08:29 PM
near chicago

Hails from United States

Just one small correction on the Catholic rosary.

There are actually 5 sets of 10 beads (decades) separated by 4 (usually larger) beads in the round portion of the rosary.

Peace!

Rose Ann Gussy
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Well thank you for that correction, Rose Ann! Time for bed I think, my brain isn't working!

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2005, 11:08 PM

Noted. Thanks Rose Anne. Lori, thanks again for all your information.

Jeanette
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Cumberland, PA

Hails from United States

I knew someone here would have the answers you were looking for. That's the wonderful thing about WC! :-)

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads. -Erica Jong
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2012, 03:40 AM

Hi,
The site was very interesting and the forums posting are really appreciable. The design of Rosary and Prayer Bracelet - We wil be happy to create from the beads that can be incorporated into a rosary and it's design. There are a lot of varieties available now a days, and we can also specify some models and questions at the moment. There are many different processes for making rose petalrosary beads and many Bracelet designs. This all be the part of the custom rosary kit or assembled rosary or a rosary bracelet.