WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 07:45 PM

Twisted

Hello, I am new to this forum. Posting one my cast bronze sculpture to see what ya'll thought. Good, bad or indifferent? All comments or questions are welcome.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 11:20 PM

Re: Twisted

Welcome to the forum Truarts.

Is your bronze a dog foot and part of a leg? I'm sorry if I got it wrong as I'm a realist and hard time with abstracts.

In any case, glad to see another sculptor who enjoys bringing their work into bronze.

~SD

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 12:25 AM

I deconstructed a discarded child's shoe and then charged myself with the task of reassembling it in a more interesting way to give it a fresh perspective. I wish I could say there was some deep meaning to the piece but I was playing around with re-purposed materials and learning the lost wax technique.

Here is another view:

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Nelson, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

I like the shapes in it.
I really don't know much about sculpture, but purely from a visual perspective I think this could benefit from some areas of higher polish, and some more areas of the green (verdigris?) in the pockmarked areas. I think it might create more visual interest and also make it look more finished.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2012, 09:24 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

It's interesting you came up with this from deconstructing a shoe! I agree with SD - it reminds me of an animal's leg in some ways, but I, too, am a realist and don't "get" abstracts all the time.

Zoe makes good points about the patina. To do a really wonderful patina, you want to have highlights, low-lights and mid-tones. One basic way to achieve this is to use liver sulfate as your first patina, let it settle in the deep parts and let it sit until it goes really dark, then wipe it off the rest of the sculpture. The liver sections will be your "darks" or "low-lights" (my terms - there are probably better ways to say this, but this is what's coming out of my fingers right now . . .). Then apply your main color, perhaps a ferric, which can go from a pale gold to a deep, rich red. Once that's done, go over the sharp edges and high spots with a Scotch Brite pad and buff it back until the bronze itself is showing to create highlights. Wax or laquer the finished piece and you're done. (This is how the patinas are done on my bronzes, FYI). Even on my black horses, if you look closely, you'll see the black (liver sulfate) is darker in the depressions and thinner on the middle and high parts of the body. The high edges of the mane and tail are usually buffed back either all the way to bright bronze or nearly there, to look like sunlight on the hair. Varying the body color (black) on a one-color horse is done by varying the amount of patina you put on, the temperature the bronze is when the patina is applied, etc.

Kudos to you for experimenting and learning by doing! Keep up the good work.