WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
N. East Scotland

Hails from Scotland
14 Sqn Farewell - structured critique please

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: 14 Sqn Farewell - structured critique please
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 x 18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Recently this long serving Royal Air Force Sqn disbanded and ceased flying it's Tornado
jets on low level training missions around the Scottish highlands.
I wanted to capture a final low level run along Loch Ness by Urqhart Castle before close down.
The height looks low but is authentic , a familiar sight to me over many years.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Do you think this captures the essence of what I set out to do? Any suggestions as to how it might be improved welcome. This is a finished piece but I welcome your thoughts for future work.

Last edited by NeilF92 : 01-03-2012 at 11:42 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:05 PM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: 14 Sqn Farewell - structured critique please

Neil - just to let you know that there may well have been posts added here which have since disappeared - the problem is site-wide and posts and threads from 4th onwards were affected.
They should be restored - but we will have to wait!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

A wonderful painting, the plane fair leaps off the screen.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Idaho, USA

Hails from United States

If this image is a fair representation, I think it would be beneficial to create more separation between the plane and the background maybe with values and line, etc. I think the background detail is causing it to come forward and compete with the jet. Also add some suggestion of motion, seems to be floating at the moment.

Nicely painted!

Bob
Painter and former jet pilot
Bob Bissett - http://www.buildart.com/rare.htm Paint America, Top 100 Winner; Am. Art Collector, Sep 08, page 96-97. http://www.buildart.com/blog.htm For now: Acrylics with Nova Slow Dry Matte Liquid or Golden Open or Old Holland; Artisan or Oils with Liquin; Canon G9 & Nikon D70. http://www.buildart.com/secret_of_wa...xable_oils.htm Review & Youtube demos. http://www.buildart.com/ice_free_earth_now.htm
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
N. East Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Thanks all for the comments .
Bob -
Yes , the photo has pretty much caught the painting accurately .
I'm inclined to agree with you as regards the background detail and the notion of speed . I debated whether or not to blur out the background .
I liked this photo shop /pencil warm up sketch this is based on but the final piece lacks the impact suggested by the sketch.
Although I say the painting is a finished piece I may well go back to it and blur the background .
Thanks for your input - much appreciated!

Last edited by NeilF92 : 01-12-2012 at 05:19 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Idaho, USA

Hails from United States

Super sonic!

Bob Bissett - http://www.buildart.com/rare.htm Paint America, Top 100 Winner; Am. Art Collector, Sep 08, page 96-97. http://www.buildart.com/blog.htm For now: Acrylics with Nova Slow Dry Matte Liquid or Golden Open or Old Holland; Artisan or Oils with Liquin; Canon G9 & Nikon D70. http://www.buildart.com/secret_of_wa...xable_oils.htm Review & Youtube demos. http://www.buildart.com/ice_free_earth_now.htm
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2012, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member
N. East Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Yeah - it's very tempting . Your adaptation Bob, is close to the impression I had in mind at the outset.
Once into the painting I kind of lost the nerve/will to blur out the detailed background which I had taken such care over to get it looking realistic and true to life. The castle on Loch Ness is a very well known tourist attraction so I didn't want to incur criticism on that score.
I also used to do quite a bit of hillside low level photography and know that you only get marked speed blur when the backdrop is fairly close to the aircraft so I convinced myself to take it easy on the "go faster " lines.
I'm glad you raised the issue - the desire to slash in some speed blur and hype the image/ action up a bit has lingered every time I looked at this piece sitting in the corner of the studio !
I guess I'll bite the bullet!
Thanks .

Last edited by NeilF92 : 01-13-2012 at 05:22 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
N. East Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Took id-art's advice and amended this one a little . Added some speed blurring to the background, some additional vapour streaks around the aircraft and knocked back the more distant part of the background behind the aircraft.Also brightened some of the jet's highlights and darkened the nose cone.

Last edited by NeilF92 : 01-19-2012 at 05:37 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2012, 04:26 AM
Lord of the Arts
north west uk

Hails from Scotland

that has livened it up somewhat neil

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2012, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member
N. East Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Thanks I'm glad I took the advice in Stuctured Critique and added the blurring.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2012, 05:03 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

the work is a nicely drafted piece of artist's work...

but, if we judge it as a painting...and consider that paintings work for reasons paintings work, a few things I think can elevate this from a fine draftsmanship to a fine painting...

seen as a grayscale...some of the jet's darkest darks compare to the darks along the distant shoreline...

Carlson taught (Landscape Painting 1929) that darkest darks are nearer to the viewer's eye and lighten going back, and the artist pushing and making use create a more convincing depth illusion.

He also taught...that of color, yellow is strongest hearer the eye...then going back in space is the first color to trail off. As it does, yellow becomes first orange, then red...which is a red many greens (such as in conifers) at about midground have a reddish hint in the greens. The color green (yellow + blue) sees then this change as yellow trails off...and in the greater distance green ridges appear bluish because blue is all that is left in the equation.

Red has that transition...as do other colors.

In addition color temperature cools as it goes back in space...

Unfortunately when painting from photographs...the information for the artist to use is incomplete. The camera being single eye lens, and aperatures prejudiced to push darks to pull in the light, convert darks to colorless spaces. Black...

I myself used photographs near exclusively for my career the first 17 years in studio...but only when I started painting outdoor around 1990...did I see that shadows allow for indirect light and reflected light to bounce color into them, and thus...shadows are alive. The darks are not colorless and lifeless.

You color presentation does not deliver the energy or punch we would actually experience and see...very likely because no doubt your photo reference fails to deliver.

Thus...one has to push such by understanding the nature Carlson speaks of in referring to values and color.

Another area the camera lies is in depth perspective.

hold up your hand at arms length and look at a specific spot...and peripherally how does the room, or objects behind the hand appear? They appear blurred...

now...look at the background or distant objects, and peripherally how does the hand appear? that's right....also blurred.

Thus in desiring to paint realistically we might also want to consider true truth...to challenge us.

The plane...were it to catch our full attention, were we in another plane, looking back at this pilot...it would be like the hand at full length, and the distant land mass would appear blurred out...but, the camera has the ability to lie counter to genuine human experience.

We get away often with that lie because we live in an image bombarded age, surrounded by the influence, and enculturation of photographs. Television, magazines, billboards...on and on. But, it is not true to life.

Now...grand painter and teacher Edgar Payne spoke on the deficit and thus challenges of painting. He said that the color of nature is 200 to 300 times more intense than what pigments born of earth minerals can imitate. He also said that we may see nearly 400 values with our eye, but are lucky to represent perhaps 40 at best. Thus...like it or not when we attempt to paint truth or realism, we are somewhat abstract painters.

Painting then is a bit like Picasso said, "a lie that tells the truth"...

so...to recover some of that deficit, and seeing we are orchestrators of this grand lie we propose to pull off...we push things. If we know we can only focus on one thing at a time...we can push the truth of that more. IF we know darkest values are darkest nearer to the eye...we can push that fact more...on and on.

Note now...by simply lightening up some of the distant values, and softening their detail report...how the plane pops now. Were you to add on top of that a push for purer color, warmer...versus a desaturating and cooling, you'd get an extra boost of drama!

Hopefully some food for thought for you...

Last edited by LarrySeiler : 01-29-2012 at 05:07 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member
N. East Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Larry
Many thanks for the excellent critique and helpful advice - a lot of food for thought in there .
A few of your points are , I think rectified in the later version I posted in the thread but I will take all of your advice to heart and apply .
Thanks again .
You've helped me understand why some of my work never quite had that depth and vibrancy that was there in the minds eye.
Neil
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

we are all learning...all wanting to move forward...me(?)...just getting old is all hahhaha...so if by some default knowledge acquired over time I can help others, its a pleasure..

peace