WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Clay
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Italia

Hails from Italy
Buying a new kiln

Hello, I have chosen a kiln for firing clay, and I am going to order it; I need now some advice from you about accessories.
By the way, the kiln I am buying is N 140 LE from Nabertherm.
Do I need and inspection hole for observing my fired ware ?
Do I need a double insulation ?
I don't want to waste money about extras that I could do without, the standard kiln is already expensive by itself!!
Your help will be much appreciated, thank you all.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands
Re: Buying a new kiln

Every kiln has vents to make sure there is enough oxigen during firing,only glass kilns have a large work or inspection hole,don't look in the glow without special glasses.Good insulation becomes most important when you fire stoneware or porcelain.Inform of the kiln you want to buy, is suitable for those high temp.A kiln processor which allow you to 'soak' pieces(holding a top temp. for a while so the glaze can melt optimum) and controling narrow your firing curve, is not waste money but expensive,you can without it or buy it later.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Italia

Hails from Italy

Rob thank you for the reply, I think that I am going to buy the standard version of the kiln, as I won't fire stoneware nor porcelain, and indeed it reaches temperature not too high ( 1100 °C max).
What glasses should I buy for looking through the inspection hole?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Hi Scalpitante,
It is not easy to see a lot in the glow at 1100C and I wonder what you like to inspect,but you can see bending cones when the firing temp.is reached in the glow .Then you can shut off your kiln from the power manual,but most kilns without computer has a mechanical device to do this;the kilnsitter.When looking in the glow I suggest glasses that are used for welding or eclipse glasses.

Last edited by Rob Hendriks : 12-30-2011 at 10:45 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Italia

Hails from Italy

The reason for which I thought to have my kiln wupplied with an inspection hole is that somewhere I read that, even when the kiln is computer-controlled, it is advised to use bending cones. Maybe I can do without?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

It is interesting that even the color of the firing glow can tell something about the temp. but this is not so accurat as the bending cones and you need practice; for example when the color of the kiln glow is between dark cherry red and light cherry red temp.=920C-1060C. When the color of the kiln glow is between a dark orange and a light orange temp.=1080C-1180C 1200C-1280C= yellow white.
When your kiln has a kilnsitter(this device has his own small cones) or when your kiln is computer-controlled you didn't have to set up the bending cones after a peephole.You program your kiln and you can do something else.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Italia

Hails from Italy

Thank you for the help Rob!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2012, 05:03 AM
Northern California

Hails from United States

Shade 5 welding glasses work best (gas welding, not stick mig or tig) for peering into a hot kiln, at your temperatures you won't need it. more useful around and after 2000 deg f.