WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2011, 11:39 AM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States
Re: Prud'hon - Masters' Figure Reference Group Study

Libellule - very nice gesture here! Also some vibrant shadows that serve the drawing well! While there is a certain blurring of the male and female as was the style of works at the time - and in this work - I might venture her face/nose might be a touch long ?

Kevin
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevinwueste
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2011, 12:07 PM
North-west of France

Hails from France

Kevin :
You can dare to tell me, do not worry, I'm here to learn. I have a tendency to lengthen my face, I think that reviewing the shadow under the nose, which is stronger on the reference than on my drawing, I can shorten it a bit.

Thanks a lot !

#33   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Surrey, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Prud'hon - Masters' Figure Reference Group Study

Hi everyone, sorry I'm late to the party and thanks to Lauren for putting this together.

John, good drawings. For the first I think you could have made her taller (or thinner), I mistake I also made. Also there is more of a leaning or change in direction of the legs particularly at the lower area. Practice makes perfect. With the second for the hands start with an overall glove shape incorporating all the fingers. That should help.

Not sure if it is cheating Sonni. The shapes look good. I agree that Prud'hon mostly is known for the hatching technique with the lines running along the form (other layers have the cross hatch at an acute angle to that).

Very structural Prosenjit. The odd thing about your comment to John about that shadow is that you could apply some of it to the original, not sure why he bothered since it doesn't follow the form at all (maybe he added it after the model had left).

Sandra, good work so far. It is interesting with this whether to copy the drawing/composition, the technique or both.

Hey there lurker (Trevor), you've got some good shapes there.

Kevin, super drawing. It would be interesting to see you approach this the Prud'hon way. It is also time consuming though.

Hey Duston, Might you finish the painting? Although it is a bit pink the tonal values look good. Maybe a green wash would fix it?

Hi Jessie, good drawing I think you got most of the anatomy spot on. I can see your tonal notes at the bottom left which is a good idea.

Kate, good drawing, I like your colours. It is very time consuming isn't it.

Lovely drawing Lydie, I like the rhythm you've captured with the sweep of her legs and arms. Very classical.

OK my first attempt. It is not finished but I'm going to start again as I've damaged the paper too much to take any more layers (particularly on her face which needs to shrink a bit). This is on A3 paper.

Lessons learnt

1. Make sure the initial drawing is accurate. It is very difficult to rework once you've started the tones. Here I knew the head was too big (and it got bigger as I worked) but didn't change. Also I didn't notice the slope of her right leg to start with.

2. Materials. The paper I chose (Tiziano pastel paper from Fabriano) was too textured to get the lines to work consistently. I also found the stumping didn't work too well as the characteristics of the black and white contes (or rather Caran d'ache hard pastels) were very different. With the softer black the stumping intensified the tone as it filled the weave of the paper. With the harder white most of the tone was removed even with a light touch. I ended up using a putty rubber instead on the black.

3. Patience. Coupled with accuracy. I think this was over 2 hours or so but I did try to hurry things along making mistakes and also damaging the paper.

Blog Gallery

Last edited by Descartes : 12-20-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Be bold
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2011, 03:50 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Quote:
The paper I chose (Tiziano pastel paper from Fabriano) was too textured to get the lines to work consistently. I also found the stumping didn't work too well as the characteristics of the black and white contes

I agree, I found the stump and the tooth of the paper seem to fight to much once a certain amount of pigment gets on there ...I like this Nathan , apart from that of the face which you stated ... Lovely attempt!
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Enthusiast
Indiana, US

Hails from United States

Thanks for the "lessons learned" Nathan. I'll start another attempt, but I'll avoid the Tiziano. And, yes, this method is very time-consuming, but I like the result.

Kate
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2011, 04:24 PM
United States

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Prud'hon - Masters' Figure Reference Group Study

A very nice thread. Lovely works and insight from everyone.

I keep telling myself this is the last one for the year, then I draw again...
I think this is the last one for the year unless I find myself with a little extra time.

A very small pencil sketch. A penny for size Once again, Happy Holidays to all.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2011, 05:42 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

This is so Sweet an Oh so Small~ish Alvin .... thankyou for posting this beautiful little drawing ....Hope your Xmas is full of Lots of drawing !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin
A very nice thread. Lovely works and insight from everyone.

I keep telling myself this is the last one for the year, then I draw again...
I think this is the last one for the year unless I find myself with a little extra time.

A very small pencil sketch. A penny for size Once again, Happy Holidays to all.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks Lauren for the great thread! There are so many images to study from. I did these drawings a few weeks ago and planning try at least one in oil.
Attached Images

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2012, 02:33 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

OOK This is just a test thread , we seem to be stuck on page 2 here , this mite bring up page 3 , from when WC went and lost postings ...
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 AM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

I am enjoying the wonderful drawings here. Bravo!
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2013, 11:17 AM

Red face Re: Prud'hon - Masters' Figure Reference Group Study

I just uploaded my drawing. A quick one done last night. I have a hard time with adding values. My shading looks choppy instead of a smooth transition of lights and darks. Any advise would be greatly appreciate.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2013, 11:14 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Missed this thread when it first started so glad to see it resurrected.

My version of the sitting lady.

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits please.