WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2003, 05:15 PM
Central Florida

Hails from United States
Thanks, Scott, I will! The eyes are my favorite parts, actually. I have been thinking about everything everyone has told me, did a sketch of the right way to do the perspective and the shadows, etc. I am going to do it again and repost it. I actually really like the idea of the picture, and so will try again.

Arlene, I thought about what you said with the cartoonish look. I was trying out a sort of impressionistic look in the background areas. For the "clock" tower, I was trying to be realistic with the human features (though the tongue is exaggerated), and impressionistic with the walls.

Thanks for all of the input, everyone!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2003, 05:33 PM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States
ok you have alot of nice parts going on, but they don't gel together.

with the background sky, try blending the upper sky into the lower sky more so you don't have such distinct bands across it...

NO BLACK! LOL...and no grays except maybe in the bricks...and then only after you first added colors.

what is the roundish thing in the background?

I think i'd like to see the whole thing without the ink...the outline is what gives it a more cartoonish feel...as well as the warped perspective.

don't be afraid, and just work slowly and you'll do fine...it's a fun piece and I think next time will turn out well...yes it's alot to take in, but by taking your time, it will become second nature to you...

as for your early pencil layers...if you think of pressure as a number from 1-5 with 1 being the lightest touch possible to 5 being the heaviest pressure, then I'd suggest you use a 2 pressure for your first layers, working up slowly to 3 and then 4...5 is good for burnishing.

feel like posting the wip so we can double check the perspective, etc ?

don't forget to make sure where your light source is coming from. ok i'll shut up...
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2003, 06:54 PM
Central Florida

Hails from United States
WIP posts? You got it! Dang, I am getting excited about this!

Thanks for all the pointers, I really appreciate it. So no ink? *gulp!* (settles into an uncomfortable slouch and bites lip)

The roundish thing in the background is a flywheel with a chain running around it. With the first posting of the WIP, I will include the story that goes behind this, because it does have a lot going on.

Thanks a bunch!

P.S. - Don't ever shut up!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2003, 09:37 PM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by rsims
P.S. - Don't ever shut up!

you don't have to worry...the best have tried to shut me up...they failed miserably! LOL

thanks btw.