WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast
Hudson Valley, NY

Hails from United States
Floral Portrait - Structured Critique

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Floral Portrait - Structured Critique
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have a dogwood tree in my front yard that is in bloom that I painted. I wanted to bring it to the next step although I not sure exactly what I need to do.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything that you can see here that needs to be improved upon would be appreciated, composition, color, perspective, etc.??
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 AM
NYC, NY

Hails from United States
Re: Floral Portrait - Structured Critique

I'm emotionally drawn to the beauty of this subject.

Because it's so complicated to paint tree foliage close-up, due to the spacial layers that are part of its beauty, now could be a good time to do some sketch studies of how the branches and leaves overlay each other, creating subtle rhythms and patterns, and making forms in the open spaces. Even though the dogwood blossoms have dropped by now, you will be able to strengthen your understanding of the dogwood's patterns and layers.

After doing a few sketches, come back to your painting, and sketch the painting itself. By sketching it, you'll be able to see where to emphasis things, where to sharpen, where to add contrast, where to soften. You have already captured the spacial layers of this scene. You need to bring them out. Work on the painting with patience, and only when instinct tells you, "go ahead."

All the very best to you... you have much courage to tackle this!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Enthusiast
Hudson Valley, NY

Hails from United States

Qwerck, thank you for helping out. I think your advice is good. Since then, I've worked on it a little more trying to bring out focal pt. area. grace
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2011, 12:30 PM
A Local Legend
Portland OR

Hails from United States

There is a "sameness" to your brushwork. The painting could benefit from a variety of brushwork, hard edges and soft edges. The changes you made improved the painting very much.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 PM
dmc68

Hello, of course I cannot look at the piece while replying, so I will do my best

The first version of the piece in my opinion is the best, nice soft pastels, colors blend well, only thing I would like to see is a splash of something upper right corner, very subtle, but I think it would give it just something.

The second version of the piece is to loud for me, to overdone, you nailed it colorwise the first time for me, and I am all about brilliance lol.

As far as different brush strokes go which one other viewer commented on.......if it could add to it, then yeah, but I am not sure how that could benefit this piece, because this is a very flowing piece and I find the use of continuous flowing lines the way you have used them gives a very calm fluid motion to this piece.

Hope this all helps.

Dave

P.S. I cannot wait till the lady who gave the critique on lines to see my schizo piece lol.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2011, 01:40 AM
A Local Legend
Portland OR

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc68
Hello, of course I cannot look at the piece while replying, so I will do my best

The first version of the piece in my opinion is the best, nice soft pastels, colors blend well, only thing I would like to see is a splash of something upper right corner, very subtle, but I think it would give it just something.

The second version of the piece is to loud for me, to overdone, you nailed it colorwise the first time for me, and I am all about brilliance lol.

As far as different brush strokes go which one other viewer commented on.......if it could add to it, then yeah, but I am not sure how that could benefit this piece, because this is a very flowing piece and I find the use of continuous flowing lines the way you have used them gives a very calm fluid motion to this piece.

Hope this all helps.

Dave

P.S. I cannot wait till the lady who gave the critique on lines to see my schizo piece lol.

With due respect, Dave, this is the structured critique forum. There are rules here about providing critique. In particular, in this forum, we don't supply opinion "only", we use guidelines to help provide suggestions. When you tell the poster "you've nailed it colorwise, for me and I am all about brilliance" you are not providing constructive criticism for the poster. It is nice that you have "druthers" (we all do), but criticism in this forum uses a guideline:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/509/168/

Though it is not apparently against any stated rules, it is bad form to criticize others who have provided recommendations. You can state your ideas without damning someone else's post. I referred the poster to the lack of a focal point, and it is a valid observation. Variety in brushwork is an art fundamental. By stating: "if it could add to it, then yeah, but I am not sure how that could benefit this piece" you are providing the poster with a "kudos" post while also tearing down my suggestion. Please be more considerate and read the forum guidelines.
Thank you.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast
Hudson Valley, NY

Hails from United States

Thank you everyone for your time and comments.