WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2011, 06:58 PM

Re: Re-creating Large Art

I didn't know anyone made a 60" x 30" sheet of tracing paper.

And I have no idea what it means to "trace down image".

I already have the entire art file as a PDF at 1/10 scale.

And I already have all the color matched paints.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Oregon

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Harris
I need to re-create some artwork that is about 6 x 3 feet in size, and I would have to either scan or photograph it in sections before stitching it together in an image program.

Is there a good forum/FAQ for learning how to do this?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I don't know if you're still checking this board, but it's easy to re-size the PDF file you attached to one of your posts in Photoshop. You'd probably need the full version rather than Elements, but you select the file to open it and then select one of the five pages in the PDF to work on. Once you have it open, you can use the Image Size function to resample the image by 1,000% to increase the size to 10 times the original plan size. From there, you can crop out sections to have printed at a print shop. You can use the Find Edges filter to simplify the image to more of a line drawing look to save ink, and can convert to grayscale to make it a black and white drawing. I'm attaching one section to show you how it looks. I've reduced the resolution so it will meet the upload requirement of being less than 1 meg in size.

I hope this helps.

Rick

Last edited by Rick G : 01-07-2012 at 06:46 PM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Oregon

Hails from United States

The uploader seems to have rejected the file for some reason. If you'd like to take a look, send me a private message with an e-mail address and I'll send it to you.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
N. East Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Just a note to the above - Photshop Elements (if you have it) will allow you to resize. It has quite a lot of the functions of the full Photoshop package.
I use Elements for a lot of preparatory work in conventional art as well as computer drawing and painting on screen.
In fact I turned down an offer of the full CS package because it was simply beyond my needs as an amateur artist.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Oregon

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF92
Just a note to the above - Photshop Elements (if you have it) will allow you to resize. It has quite a lot of the functions of the full Photoshop package.
I use Elements for a lot of preparatory work in conventional art as well as computer drawing and painting on screen.
In fact I turned down an offer of the full CS package because it was simply beyond my needs as an amateur artist.

I know that Elements will allow you to resize, but I don't know if it will allow you to open PDF files like the full version will. You might give it a try and let us know.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
N. East Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Photoshop elements appears capable of handling PDF files.
Included in the file formats of Elements is one for
Photoshop PDf ( *.pdf , *pdp ).
I opened a downloaded set of aircraft drawings in an Adobe Acrobat document which opened as tempest1.pdf. and lets me view any one of 1 of 3 pages.
It stepped through "Rasterize Generic PDF format " in the opening sequence .

Don't know if this helps any.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Oregon

Hails from United States

Thanks for the information, Neil. It sounds like Elements would do the job equally well as the full version, but at a considerably lesser cost.

And, as you said, I don't know if any of this will help Darren out all, but maybe it will be of help to someone who happens to read this.