WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2011, 09:55 AM

Windy Day Lake Misquabi

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Windy Day Lake Misquabi
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 9x12 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This painting is unfinished. I am conce<br>ed about the composition as the eye moves off to the right. I had hoped that the waves would do the job.Any ideas.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please comment on the sky and colour. The trees to the left are not finished. Any other ideas as to how I can improve this painting. Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2011, 09:59 AM

Re: Windy Day Lake Misquabi

Please move this painting to STUCTURED CRITIQUES. THANKYOU.
abo1955
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Dana Design

I love the water dashing against the near rocks! But the white clouds look more like smoke than clouds. Perhaps breaking them up a bit?

And I keep thinking after looking at this for awhile that portions of the sky should be a lighter blue as it is reflected in the water.

I'd also define the rock jutting out of the water a bit more.

This looks like a keeper so I'll be interested to see how you finish this!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2011, 01:33 PM

Hi Dana D. Thanks for your comments. I agree that the clouds need a lot of work. I have had very little experience at painting skies so I'll try to improve it. Will send updated version when it happens!! Cheers abo1955
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Lord of the Arts
S.E. Missouri

Hails from United States

I think you'd be happier with the clouds if you would scumble or feather in the bottoms of the clouds so they just fade into the sky, both underneath and the far end of the clouds to your left. The idea is to give them a "wispy" looks, as if you could blow on them and they'd move. I believe the same approach would help with the waves at the right of the painting, give more of a misty spray water feeling instead of a solid look. You are on the right track to where it takes only a few small changes to make a big difference, a nice place to be when working on any painting. Looking forward to seeing the finished painting!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2011, 05:31 AM
Amsterdam, europe

Hails from Netherlands

I agree to Ayres.
(The clouds look very closeup because the strokes are rough, scumbling or small strokes would create depth).
If you still need more depth after that, try to haze over the bottom sky with a tad more blue.
I like very much that red bit between the water and the trees! What red did you use here?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Genelle, BC

Hails from Canada

I like this a lot and agree with Dana that it's going to be a keeper. I think that the eye path is too fast from the right straight to the trees above the rocks, and then down to the rocks. The clouds, together with trees below, are making an arrow that point straight there. What do you think would happen if there were some cloud coming from the top left of the painting, from behind the trees, sweeping slightly downward toward the darker cloud. Caught there by the darker cloud, might the eye then move left, back along the bottom cloud, to towards the trees.... a zig zag from left to right. Down to the rocks, then following the waves with our eyes, we would come up against the large wave at right, which is pointing back up to the clouds above.
Nell

Last edited by NRC : 12-13-2011 at 12:27 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2011, 09:14 AM

A big thankyou to Aires, Evelien and NRC for all of your comments. I have not been painting seriously for very long so it will take time for me to digest and implement them. I find all the comments valid and worhtwhile thankyou. Evelien asked in particular about the red of the beach area. I am only using a warm and cool of each primary (plus white) as my pallete. I got the idea from a workshop that I attended two weeks ago and have been working with it to try and mix colours that I see around me. I love the idea and really think that it makes you understand how colour works if you practice. If I remember the correctly the red beach is Cad. Red Middle, Cad. Yellow Middle with White and a touch of Cobalt Blue. Thankyou all again for being positive about my painting and I will try to do justice to your comments.