WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Larry Seiler
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 12:41 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Experiments with Mediums...pushes and stretches

During the webinars, I talked about reaching out beyond your comfort zone.

My son, Jason...has been after me for a number of years to try my hand at digital painting. Those familiar with his work know he's ridiculously good, a celebrated illustrator doing many covers for Rollingstone...and other magazines. Thinking I should take a few jobs on...

Well...finally finished this work which was put on hold while I was working on the last webinar series...

the discography of Howard Johnson is amazing...from Dizzie Gillespie, Buddy Rich, to Paul Simon, Taj Mahal...was working on an album with John Lennon and Yoko Ono when John was assassinated, played with The Band (Levon Helm) and now with Helm's band. Howard was also the original band leader of the orginal cast of Saturday Night Live...

this is a digital painting...my third digital painting ever...approached as a painter. Stroke for stroke with an Intuos 2 watcom tablet and wireless stylus..no photo manipulation. Those familiar with my work, know I paint with oils typically, or gouache...and a history with acrylics. This was something of a challenge my son put me to task...a medium he flows well with...

here is a closeup of work I did tonight to finish...

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 02:52 AM
Enthusiast
Spokane, Washington

Hails from United States
Re: Experiments with Mediums...pushes and stretches

Larry --- I remember seeing this before, though had no idea it was digital. I love his expression, can feel the energy it must take to blow one of those things. He looks like he is really in the zone. Really nice job.

Dan

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."

Norman Maclean
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:47 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

A wonderful finish Larry. I followed its progress on your blog.

So oils, acrylics, watercolours, gouache - and now digital art - you're nothing if not versatile

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

thanks Dan...thanks Doug, I think teaching art brings some practical necessity to be fluent with many mediums in order to give students a fair exposure and education...so, I'll blame it on that. But, I do appreciate, that I think each medium with its own particular challenges also carries different means to look at a subject, different considerations...so, its definitely intriguing...