WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2011, 11:49 PM

Re: Hi Lurkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeCoyote
Looks like I get to jump start this thread. I have been doing fiber art since grade school. I stick primarily to embroidery with appliqué and beading. I also paint. I can do garment construction too but find it tedious and it doesn't travel well.

So, what is there to get involved in around here?

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, your quote!!!!!!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2011, 04:32 PM

Hi, I signed on officially a while ago and I've been around, but mostly I've been lurking.

Is leather really a fiber art? Because I just make a little painted leather shield, or Aegis, with the head of the gorgon Medusa as part of a larger piece. It's on my blog, "Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" here.

I'm a little bit of a mashup. I'm classically trained as a painter -- indeed, I've painted and drawn all my life -- but I've also designed and sewn clothes and made lots of things and a few years back the light bulbs went off and I've been integrating my arts into bigger projects and ...

Anyhow, I design and make clothing and wearable art pieces, some of which qualify as costume in the Halloween sense although I think of them all as Costume in the all-kinds-of-clothing sense. Some of the gesamstkunstwerks I've been making lately are entire outfits and paintings integrated (some paintings of the outfits, some paintings on the outfits) and each inspired by a different ancient Greek god.

So yeah, the Aegis is going to be part of an outfit of/for Athena.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2011, 06:05 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Welcome Alessandra, to the Fiber Art Forum. Umm... no, leather is not fiber. You could post over in acrylics since that's what you painted the leather with. And, it's perfectly acceptable to post that in our chat thread "Stitch in Time" where we talk about just about everything. Once you have the whole costume done if there is fabric involved you could post it here. We are actually pretty easy going about the "rules".
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 PM

I did wonder. I thought to myself "Leather ... fiber ... hmm." It's only that leather was mentioned in the first post on this thread.

At the moment the outfit is the Aegis and a cotton shirt with thread buttons and silk stitching. There's going to be a vest and trousers and a sort of utility cape and probably gaiters as well, when I'm done, but I don't know their exact form or materials yet. Fibers will be involved, and possibly glass and metalwork as well.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Leeds UK

Hails from England

Hello to everyone, I am really impressed with the range of materials used and talent here.
As for me, I never seem to stick at anything long enough to get really good. However I have recently been experimenting with printing on cotton fabric and hope to show you some of my efforts when I can.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Hello ptero. Welcome out of lurkdom and into fiber art forum. We'd love to see what you are doing, printing on cotton fabric. And anything else you decide to do along the way or have done in the past.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2012, 10:28 PM
deapea

I'm guilty of lurking! I have always been into drawing...mainly graphite and colored pencils. But I dabble in pen & ink and pastels (soft & oil). Apparently, I also like playing with sticks and string because I recently learned how to crochet & I'm really obsessed with it. I'm a lefty and had a hard time finding someone to teach me the basics. So, I learned watching YouTube videos. Once I finally got the basics, I can now watch right handed videos and finally understand patterns. I'm working on a building block afghan for a Christmas gift exchange. It's taking forever and I fear I may not have it completed before the 23rd...when the party is. My main problem is I'm trying to complete this in time and I keep getting carpal tunnel. ....to the point that my neck and shoulders hurt. I have neck probs anyways, so it does not take much to irritate that. lol Oh well...I really love crocheting. Even though it hurts. lol
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

What fun to get your post! I've heard that it is a challenge to convert right handed instructions for crochet or knitting as a lefty. YouTube comes through again!

Welcome!

Jen
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi. I am currently working on a series of cross stitched Mexican costumes. All are my original design. I am using a water soluble marker directly on 14 or 16 ct fabric. Here are a few I have done so far.
Pinké in Houston
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland

Hi Pinké in Huston
Wow these are wonderful. Thei are so very finly made. Why don't you join us in the April thread and share this beautiful work
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2013, 08:51 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Welcome out of lurking, Pinke. These are beautiful. Feel free to start your own thread with your work.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2013, 02:03 PM

hey all... havent been on in ages... this is a wip of a modified crazy quilt... i used the moms baby clothes for her soon to be daughter brynlee

Tangello200
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2013, 07:45 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Cute. Looking forward to seeing it done.