WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > Partner: Blick Art Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 AM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States
not perfect

While most experiences with Blick can be positive, please, don't think they are perfect.

Having been buying from them for more years than I care to admit...there are still issues.

My purchases are frequently based on timing, as in I need to have this done by X date and I order so far ahead of that to insure it arrives and is ready when I need it.

The good folks at DB don't always care about my schedule or timing, that is understood to some degree as it is a large corporation not a mom and pop store front. What they don't understand is that this rather cavalier attitude can cost me, their "valued" customer in time and money.

A recent order, is being held due to a backorder item. Certainly an effort I applaud, it cuts cost to the Blick organization. What hasn't happened is this...I have not been apprised of the delay, haven't been advised as to the expected shipping date, and if I hadn't questioned the status of this order, there would not have been any communications. So, here on the 5th of Jan, an order placed on the 29th of Dec, is sitting in a warehouse instead of being delivered. This has forced me to go to a local mom and pop storefront (lucky to have one in the area) and buy the same products, at a higher price, in an effort to finish the work intended. This will also, assuming the package is delivered and I get it, will give me an overstock of the product in need.

Anyone starting to get the picture here?

Okay, so no big deal so far. Wrong. I am getting ready to leave on a trip for a week, chances are that the package may arrive in my absence which leaves it to the local neighborhood kids and others to abscond with it in which case I may never see this order at all.

So, just in case one was wondering, DB is not a superman operation, they are flawed and have chinks in their armor.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2009, 10:27 AM
A Local Legend
Brownsville TX "On the Border, By the Sea"

Hails from United States
Re: not perfect

I am still waiting on part of my November 11 order from Jerry's not superman operation who cleverly decided to move their warehouse right after Thanksgiving, so what I ordered is on a truck, but not heading my way.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2009, 02:03 PM

Thank you to all our Blick customers! Please allow us to explain this concern:

In July of 2008 we started a backorder policy that holds some orders for up to 5 business days. The hold will affect orders that have in stock merchandise of less than $100.00 and at least one backordered item. It has been our experience that over 70% of our backorders become available within that time frame (regardless of expected due dates listed on our site). The order will ship within 5 business days with or without the backordered item. This is part of our effort to cut down on shipping costs and to lessen the impact we have on the environment.

When placing the order online the customer is notified that this hold will happen on the "Confirm Order Details" page of the order process.

We understand that at times our customers are on a deadline. In these cases we are happy to ship the in stock items immediately and ship the backordered item when it is available. If that is the case, please email us at custserv@dickblick.com or call us at 800 723 2787; we will release your order to ship right away!

We are not perfect, but we are happy to fix any mistakes that we make!

Thank you for allowing us to explain and we hope we can assist all our customers in the future!

Last edited by Blick Art Materials : 01-06-2009 at 02:07 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2009, 03:40 PM
A Local Legend
Brownsville TX "On the Border, By the Sea"

Hails from United States

I've had a bunch of Blick orders, some with problems, but all were corrected in a timely manner and with great satisfaction.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Mayor's Income Tenn.

Hails from United States

In no way trying to dismiss anyone's issues or garner brownie points, but basically am extremely happy with DB's service, sorry to hear of anyone's problems with them as they have always been very few and far b/t with them for me.

In all honesty the only two to trust in the online marketplace, in my experience are the aforementioned and D. Smith...all others are, to put it bluntly, pure garbage...in product availability and customer service. Their name(s) I will withhold, suffice to say one of them is one business under two names. Outrageous shipping charges and much the same problem I had as the original poster of this thread, along with very unsympathetic service, and again insanely outrageous shipping policies...

Blick on the other hand, very, very prompt re-ships on messed up orders and honestly nice service, the same with Daniel Smith...Between the two it usu. comes down to products in stock to make the choice for me.

I hope all was settled in the matters mentioned above...

also it may not seem so given the size of the companies, but both Blick and Smith are still Mom and Pop shops...

and no, I am in no way affiliated with them, just a very loyal and happy customer.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

I work at a local "Mom & Pop" shop so therefor I am a big supporter of shopping local.
Support that "Mom & Pop" store, they need your support...now more than ever! Support local shops! Pay those few extra pennies (what you save on products online you pay back in shipping costs anyways...& time as you have discovered)! You'll get better service all around from that small local shop than you ever will with online retailers. They will come to know you by name & appriciate the time & money you put into thier shop. Take it from one who knows many customers by name...& are friends to boot! You can't beat that kind of service by price-tag alone.

Buy local! Support your LOCAL economy!
~Zen - a Buddhist doctrine that enlightenment can be attained through direct intuitive insight.

Last edited by C4G : 02-11-2009 at 08:58 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Mayor's Income Tenn.

Hails from United States

Do have one near me *plug plug* called Empty Easel...great for some of the things I need, and need in a hurry. Sad for them and I a few of the things I use on a regular basis they could not keep in regular stock as I would be the only one to buy them...but as luck would have it they at least carry my Gamblin!!!!

Empty Easel, south chicago!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2009, 12:26 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blick Art Materials
Thank you to all our Blick customers! Please allow us to explain this concern:

In July of 2008 we started a backorder policy that holds some orders for up to 5 business days. The hold will affect orders that have in stock merchandise of less than $100.00 and at least one backordered item. It has been our experience that over 70% of our backorders become available within that time frame (regardless of expected due dates listed on our site). The order will ship within 5 business days with or without the backordered item. This is part of our effort to cut down on shipping costs and to lessen the impact we have on the environment.

When placing the order online the customer is notified that this hold will happen on the "Confirm Order Details" page of the order process.

We understand that at times our customers are on a deadline. In these cases we are happy to ship the in stock items immediately and ship the backordered item when it is available. If that is the case, please email us at custserv@dickblick.com or call us at 800 723 2787; we will release your order to ship right away!

We are not perfect, but we are happy to fix any mistakes that we make!

Thank you for allowing us to explain and we hope we can assist all our customers in the future!

Thanks for explaining this. I haven't run into it because most of the time my orders are over $200 so that I can get the free shipping, thus my backordered items ship when they come in and my other stuff arrives fast. I'm lucky in where I live, moving to this particular town shaved two days off the FedEx route compared to Blick orders I received in other states. Right close to a distribution center.

This post is important to me because I may need to order something small in a hurry and if I put something in with it that's backordered and not a rush, I'll know to email you and tell you it's time-dependent. Recent coupons with a lower flat shipping rate have made small interim orders more appealing, so when I'm working on a project and running out of something specific, I might well take advantage of it.

Then either avoid ordering anything out of stock with it or send you the email.

It might help if you put this explanation on the shipping rates and policies page -- though to be honest, I don't know if you have or not since I stopped checking it after seeing the "flat shipping rate" coupons come up.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2009, 05:41 PM

Thank you to all our loyal Blick customers!

We have debated posting the backorder policy on the shipping information page of our website. We have ultimately decided against this due to the fact that this delay happens so rarely. We would not want to discourage customers from purchasing due to this back order policy.

We do let customers know on an individual level that this delay has occured. Each customer is notified on the "confirm order details" page of the checkout when this delay applies to them.

Of course if a customer would like their in stock items to ship immediately we need only to be notified of this. If we are contacted either via email at custserv@dickblick.com or over the phone at 1-800-723-2787; we will release the order to ship right away.

We appreciate all of the support our customers provide Blick!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2011, 11:05 PM
San Diego,CA

Hails from United States

I too, shop at Blick's. It is my #1 art supplier. There are two of them here in San Diego,CA. The main one downtown is pretty well stocked, but does not always have everything that is advertised. The other one at the S.D.S.U. campus stocks only according to the need of classes for the campus. O.k., I understand the campus thing, but if you advertise that you have a product for sale, why not stock all the items you advertise, especially at the main store? I am always given the "well, you can always order it online..." bit, but with two stores in town, it seems a bit ridiculous to have to. If it is a question of space, perhaps the needs of us artists are growing, which in turn may necessitate a bigger store! : ) ! Other than that, I usually walk away with something I can use, even if it is just for my supply stock for future projects - AND the customer service has always been excellent.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2011, 03:49 PM

Hi 1onsite,
I am sorry that the San Diego store did not have what you were looking for. You are correct the SDSU store was put on their campus to help supply the students with their specific class needs, but feel free to stop by there as a non student to shop as well.

As for items being in the sale flyer that the store may not carry, unfortunately each store has direct control over what they do or do not want to stock. So while it may be in the flyer, the store may know from previous experiences that certain things just do not sell as well as others or know that their space is limited and cannot find the space to house it.

Also, the fliers are distributed to our stores nationwide, therefore while we may put a particular item in the flier, only the stores in Chicago or New York may choose to carry it. That being said, the store should be able to order it for you if it is in stock in our warehouse or if a particular store still has it in stock. If there is a particular product or line that you would like to see the San Diego Store carry, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@dickblick.com and let remind us which store you would like to see carry which product. We can then let the Retail Merchandisers know and they can follow through with seeing that it gets added to the store.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.
Audra