WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2011, 10:02 PM
South of Ft. Worth TX

Hails from United States
When is a Limited Edition a good investment/resale value?

Hi all, I've discovered more and more lately that I enjoy collecting art almost as much as creating my own paintings; but I'm pretty new to being a serious art collector and right now, I've got a tiny budget so I'm trying to learn what's my best bet on making the better buy with the art I like. So I mostly buy online looking at self representing artist on Ebay, Etsy and Artfire. I have a couple of smaller originals (all under $150) that I'm thrilled with and one signed limited edition print I discoverd I had from years ago.

I was considering buying some limited edition prints but I'm quickly learning that general opinion is that limited edition prints are primarily decorative value, not investment value in the long term. So with that in mind, when would you know if/and when a signed limited edition print could be more valuable than a decorative object? When the print is larger than 16x20 inches, or does size matter ? Thanks for any advice or shared experiences!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2011, 11:42 PM

Hails from Canada
Re: When is a Limited Edition a good investment/resale value?

Could you specify -- are you talking about reproductions including high quality ones or are you talking about artist prints like woodcut, etching, litho, etc.?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2011, 04:29 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

I am also on a limited buying budget. My personal view is I buy only what really, really grabs my heart. I start leaving and I just can not go. And the painting is interrupting my thought. So I go back and buy it. I have only bought maybe 10 artworks of any kind, and all of them I am happy for years and decades later. There are two paintings I didn't buy decades ago, and it still pangs me to this day. (I was with an ex husband and his attitude was why buy that, you can make a painting instead. Idiot. Both artists of these paintings very shortly after went on to be more well known (not famous, but known, and of course their prices went up A LOT as well. One of them was selling originals for 800 dollars. Three years later, she was selling prints for 800 and the originals were 4000+. And she was selling well.).

So if a print was ripping at my heart, I would buy it. Just like a painting. Or a vase. But I would not put any investment value on prints. Unless it is a 3000 year old wood block or something. Otherwise, no. I'd buy it because I love it.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2011, 06:05 AM
South of Ft. Worth TX

Hails from United States

Thanks Bleu & Allison for sharing, Bleu I'm looking at high quality prints only at this point. Allison, I so totally relate to what you said, I only bought the few original paintings b/c I couldn't stop thinking about them for at least a month; that's when I knew I needed to buy them (and the price was right), plus I felt good supporting another "unknown" artist like myself. Like that old saying, you hold the ladder for someone else to climb and someone will hold the ladder for you to climb.

I'm lucky that my hubby collects his own kind of art (comic book story panels & cartoon cells) so he's never said "why are you buying someone else's painting when you could do make one like it yourself? " I am kicking myself too for letting some art get away from me from years ago when my instincts were telling me to take the risk and buy it!

Thanks for the info, I think I need to stick to my gut instinct and place more priority on affordable originals as a better buy for my money in the long run, but I'm going to be on the lookout for those deals on high quality prints from more established artist that I like, for instance I would *love* to have a Bob Khun wildlife print one day. I did happen to luck into getting a free framed limited edition print from a known western artist simply because my sister's office mate was redecorating and she asked my sister "doesn't your sister like southwest art, would she take this picture?" Of course I said yes

Any other opinions welcomed!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2011, 07:03 AM
WC! Guide
I am as excited as a chameleon in a bag of M&M's

Hails from Ireland

Limited editions as far as reproductions are concerned add no value. Limited editions are only a concern when using plates that deteriorate when printing from them.

Art by Greg Long . My Blog -- Business questions? Want ideas? Why not come join us in the Art Business Forum
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Greg is right. Also when you are printing color in woodblock or lino via the reduction method. You print one color, then recarve for the next, and the next, and the next, so you can never go back and reprint even if the last version of the plate is not deteriorated.

I also collect art and never buy repros. I miss the spiritual connection I feel from the artist's hand to my eyes with original paintings, drawings and hand pulled original prints.

But whether or not I ever make any money from them, is another matter.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
Potsdam, NY

Hails from United States

I learned a long time ago not to buy things solely for their resale value. I have seen too many "hot collectibles" turn cold.

If you are looking to invest money for future profit there are other venues that offer better outcomes than the art market.

I will say that I have yet to regret purchasing the art works I have. Mostly originals at low cost. I buy art because I like it and because it speaks to me enough that I want to make a commitment to having it in my life.

If you are looking to buy art as an investment I would definitely recommend originals rather than reproductions.

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2011, 02:35 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi,

Even if I'm on a low budget (my monthly wage is around 700 Euro), I've managed to acquire a few good quality (so I think) originals.
From the start, I decided that I'd only collect original artwork - of course that there could be exceptions.
Here's my collection.

Two of the main reasons to buy from these artists, were: First of all enjoying the artwork and second because I believe that they will progress.

José

Read about it on my Blog
Friendship Is Like Peeing In Your Pants…Everyone Can See It, But Only You Can Feel It.
I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.

Last edited by Bringer : 11-08-2011 at 02:39 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

Now if you are actually buying a limited edition and just not a print, the limited edition should maintain its value...there are certain criteria that a piece must adhere to...There are two key definitions in the statute which will be used in this summary. A multiple means a print or a photograph. A master is the plate, stone, block, screen, negative, etc., from which the multiple is made.

there are a lot of guidelines that must be followed before it can truly be a limited edition...

Portraity
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Edwardsburg, MI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Long
Limited editions as far as reproductions are concerned add no value. Limited editions are only a concern when using plates that deteriorate when printing from them.

When traditional printmaking methods are used and the plate is destroyed, either in the printing process or after the final print is pulled, then truly each print is unique and should be considered an original and not a "reproduction". As such they are collectible and could retain their value or increase in value.

As others have said though, purchasing low to medium valued art is not a very good idea as an investment vehicle. There are many other places to put your money to realize better returns... actually under your mattress could even be a better investment and is definitely more liquid.

Buy art because you love the art and want it in your life. If there is an increase in value of the artist's work it is just icing on the cake. You probably would never want to sell it anyway if you bought it because you loved the piece.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2011, 07:08 PM
South of Ft. Worth TX

Hails from United States

Thank you all so much, I can see my instincts are inline with many of you all's sentiments. I do appreciate the information about traditional print making methods, I'm not too familiar with that type of art so now I know. YOu guys rock

I just bought a small print of a horse watercolor that I had my eye on for a while. When I got the print my first thought was, "wow, I really need the original painting!", but the artist had sold the original many years ago she said, But I paid a very reasonable price for the print so that helps to take the sting out some.

I have one more question, what is the difference between an "artist proof edition" and the limited edition print multiples?? For instance, I was looking at some prints on the art/decor site Wild Wings. I noticed that some artists prints were offered in both artist proof prints (more expensive) and limited edition prints. Just wondering.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2011, 08:21 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

All the "limited edition" and "artist proof" for reproductions like that are just bogus advertising, imo, to lure in the uneducated. They have meaning in handpulled prints, but not in repros. IMO, they are misleading.

I sell vintage art and let me tell you....well done originals of any age from any artist, no matter how unknown in any medium are salable and do well for me.

The most beautifully framed, signed, matted, certificate of authenticity, limited edition, artists proof, etc., reproduction "print" is worth about about 10% of what you can pay for a brand new one. And most of the buyers are artists, buying for the frame.

The exception is truly top shelf artists, like any Wyeth repro, which sell for a higher percentage, but still below the cost of a brand new, fresh off the "giclee" printer, one.

But that's just been my experience.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2011, 04:02 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi again,

I believe that this can be of interest.

http://www.marlboroughgallery.com/ga...print_glossary

Read about it on my Blog
Friendship Is Like Peeing In Your Pants…Everyone Can See It, But Only You Can Feel It.
I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2011, 04:37 PM
South of Ft. Worth TX

Hails from United States

Thanks again Robin for your insight, that's what I thought too. I enjoyed the info about different print techniques as well Bringer! Thanks! Always something to learn....