WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Reference Image Library Requests and Support
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Laytonville

When you creat the art from an approved reference, then what?

I asked a few weeks ago in the portrait section about using reference and discovered you needed permission! (I am new to this! )So I wrote to the 4 people who I was starting paintings of (dancers)and the photographer who took the pctures I worked from. The photographer was appreciative that I asked and gave me permission and 2 of the people so far have written back and given permission and they were all very nice and glad I asked.
But now I am wondering, if those paintings have to hang on my wall forever, never to be seen or can I make prints and display and sell them? Does the photographer or individual have rights to money I would make from the paintings because they were my source material?
There is a portrait painter in my town who does fairs and she sells pictures she has done of current movie stars all the time. Can you do that?
What are the rules now that I have permission from the photographer and the persons I want to paint? Thanks!!!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2011, 10:46 AM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: When you creat the art from an approved reference, then what?

Quote:
There is a portrait painter in my town who does fairs and she sells pictures she has done of current movie stars all the time. Can you do that?
I'm afraid this kind of thing is done very often - the original photo is copyright and strictly speaking the artist should first seek permission - they seldom do. I think the attitude is taken that the images are almost public domain stuff!

So it would be up to you!

As for your painting, if the photographer gave you permission to use the photos, then you can do what you wish with your own painting.
Any income from sales is yours.
It may be nice (and appreciated) if you were to credit the photographer and individuals for graciously giving you permission - again, that's not always done!

If the two other dancers haven't replied, well, you had permission from the owner of the image made, so it should be OK - or you could change their faces!

Copyright law is different in each country - it might be worth your while just to check it out.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Alabama

reading this leads me to ask a question, I sometimes use photos from the reference library , like landscapes boat and beach scenes, and assumed it was ok to sell them, am I wrong .

Ronnie
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2011, 01:54 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

You can freely use Reference Image Library photos as references and sell the paintings. It's nice to acknowledge the photographer.

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Ronnie, all photos donated here are available for your use in creating art and selling it.
As long as it is produced in different medium - you may not take a photo and use it as a photo - only to create another piece of art.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**