WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Monrovia, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Is art school a must for a serious artist?

i am in a similar spot as well. i am 4 classes away from getting my BA in Studio art, but feel as if i haven't much to learn from this institution, and want to pursue a higher art degree. i have been talking to many of my professors and they pretty much all said to go to grad school, but to wait a bit. they agreed that the experience they gathered from doing artist residencies and exploring their art through their own time was invaluable. one of the things they all said was that concentrated art (grad) school is standing to be one of the most intense experiences they've had, and that waiting for more artistic maturity and experience made them do it for themselves, not for a grade (which is the trap i've found myself get into a few times.) all my professors are working artists who show in multiple galleries.

i honestly don't know if that is at all a help to you, but i think what i mean to say is that is is worth it, according to my professors, but it's not the only way to go.

i'd say if you want the feedback and training, go to some classes. i know that many community centers offer figure drawing classes and painting classes that are on a less formal setting than a university, but they are still worthwhile, and prolly cheaper. some galleries do the same. if you decide to go the university or college settign route, try to look for smaller classes; i'd say no more than 15 people. that way you get the attention you need to progress and the instructors will be more adept to noticing you (trust me... no more than 15. not a fun experience)

if you or anyone else wants more self directed studies and explorations, check out http://www.resartis.org/en/ for artist residencies 'round the world. some cover the cost of some or all aspects. it's pretty groovy

i hope this is more than babble. good luck on your parallel journey!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Belgium

No, there's plenty of self-taught artists that are way better than your average person with a masters in art.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2011, 05:12 PM
West Virginia

Hails from United States

who needs college w/ the internet. its all here or in books. you can learn yourself, but you wont have the paper. who really cares if you can paint your ass off.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Dunbar/Edinburgh

Hails from Scotland

No it's not.

Just because you have a degree in art and 4 years of formal training which compromises of nothing you can't find in a book shop doesn't mean you'll be a good artist or more popular. Take a look in your local gallery or a look at a few websites of "proper" artists and judge for yourself. I've seen plenty of work from people in galleries for 4 figures and my kid could do a better job. Similarly I've seen plenty of work from people who treat art as a hobby and they produce insanely good works of art for pennies.

Go to art school if that's what you want to do or if thats what you think artists should do, like going to Paris and starving to death on the street. But don't go because you think it's going to make you a **** hot, hot shot artist that can command $10 000 for any peice of crap you produce because the in crowd of the art world says you're good. Bottom line, if you're good enough to make a living at it you will.

Chris
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Los Angeles

Hails from United States

I've been checking out tons and tons of art books from the library, and learning a lot (particularly about watercolors and acrylics). Some of the level of detail in the books is far beyond what I have learned in classes.
However, I have noticed the main benefit of taking a class is that you are disciplined to actually do all of the work (and practice) required. In classes, you can also benefit from the creativity and ideas of your fellow students.
I took several drawing and illustration classes at Art Center in Pasadena, and the most fun is usually when you get to chat and interact with other students, the teacher and the models!
Being new to Wet Canvas, I'm hoping it will be a similar experience and lots of fun!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Potsdam, NY

Hails from United States

One thing that art school will give you that no amount of self-study can is an Art degree. Just as one has to attend medical school for a medical degree, engineering school for an engineering degree, etc.

This may be the one thing art school offers that simply and absolutely cannot be obtained through other means. No amount of talking shop with other artists, painting, drawing, sculpting, reading, and watching videos will get you that degree by themselves.

How serious you are about your art is determined by you, not by art school. However, how seriously others take your art may be very much influenced by if and where you attended art school. Some collectors and gallery owners will care more about your resume than they will about your actual art.

If you are at a point in your life where you can attend even a semester of art school without incurring undue hardship, try it. You will discover first hand what art school has to offer you and no knowledge is useless.

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Arvada, CO

Hails from United States

I have been considering this question very seriously myself.
I understand that you do not need certification to be an artist and that it won't particularly matter or necessarily ensure your sucsess as an artist. I don't consider it a must, but I could see it as being very helpful in developing different skills and getting exposure to a wide range of skill sets or mediums. So- it art college worth it?

For anyone that has gone through an Art School or gotten a degree, how has your training specifically helped you and what has it provided for you? Any pros and cons would be helpful.