WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Garden of Memories of WC Members
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Durham, NC

Hails from United States
The Late John Molnar

A couple years ago, when I first started painting in casein, and was curious to find out more about this medium, I came upon John Molnar's website---very informative and inspiring. Then, as a new member to WC, just this month, I was browsing the Casein/Egg Tempera/Gouache channel and uncovered some old posts of his. As a new member in 2009, he was offering help and advice to new casein painters. Promising!

Yesterday I was thinking maybe I would post a question for him, but before I did so, I thought I'd take another look at his website, and his beautiful, accomplished paintings, so I googled him, and got quite a shock.

John Molnar died on Oct. 13, 2010, at the age of 50, of complications during a treatment for leukemia. So I thought I would post this little memento, since I can find no mention of his death on WC. I didn't know, and this belated (to me) news truly saddens me.

His first postings on WC , as a new member, seem to have appeared in 2009----what a valuable long-term WC member he would have been. I read some of his replies to other members, and they were encouraging and generous. I wondered why there were no more recent posts. Well, now I know. I've been thinking about this since yesterday.

How when people are not "famous" in the mainstream, like Liz Taylor, their deaths can go unnoticed by all but a few. But that doesn't mean they go unnoticed. I didn't even know this artist, this person, but...I miss him!

Last edited by Caroline Trippe : 04-03-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: misspelling
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 AM

Hails from Canada
Re: The Late John Molnar

My mother went to school with John Molnar back when they both were classmates at Niagara College in Ontario, early 80's - in radio broadcasting. She sent me a clipping about his passing - he was in the column in the Globe and Mail in a section called 'Lives Lived'. She was very surprised he went on to become an artist!

She was quite fond of him and went on quite a bit on the phone the other day about how he always went out of his way to help other people and was such a very caring person. My mother had left her job as a pharmacist to pursue her dream as a radio broadcaster in her forties. Eventually she went back to pharmacy.

I'm searching for some info online about him to pass on to her, as she does not have a computer.

I've found the Globe and Mail article, written by his wife.. unfortunately I can't post a url until my second post here. Lets see if I can do it in the next one!

Vicki
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 10:42 AM

Hails from Canada

It still won't let me post it, but - if you go to Google, type in his name and Lives Lived, you'll get the Globe and Mail article, published May 10th. Not sure if I can post articles due to copyright issues etc. It's nicely written.

He sure sounded like a great guy - gone too young.

Vicki
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2011, 02:33 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Try again Vicki, the bar is two posts.

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2011, 01:06 AM
Solvang,California USA

Hails from United States

Hi Caroline,
I Google'd Johns website and had a very nice time viewing his work. John's work has such a nice style to it, very scenic panoramas with great depth to them. It is a shame he has passed way to early on in his life. I had a brother who also died from Leukemia so this posting about John had special meaning and brings back a lot of memories about that time in my life.
I hope more of the artists here see Johns work and enjoy the beauty he created while he was with us.

A Video with John Speaking of his work...worth watching!
Ron
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Italy

Hails from Italy

sorry for him.... his paintings are very beautiful, too