WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Larry Seiler
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2011, 01:05 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Re: So MUCH EASIER...JUST TO GIVE UP...QUIT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinart
With talent, we're all here mostly in the same skill range. It's a matter of how and where we take it.
-Harley-

sometimes I wish, like Facebook...we just had a "like" button. Nothing to add, except I really enjoyed your post!!!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2011, 01:19 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2

Two: when I do, my art improves overall at a ferocious pace.

should be encouraging to know so many look forward to your notes.

I made the suggestion, and I believe it will happen...that my own study notes and outlines will be made available that I submit to F&W when the archived recorded sessions are readied.

I like this thought of yours especially.

I appreciate artists that take my workshops...certainly enjoy travel, making new friends, but I have seen those (and few to be honest) that believe taking a workshop will suddenly cause their work to be marketable and go flying off the easel faster than they can keep up.

A workshop...teaching, webinars, books are all quite helpful, providing valuable information...life changing directions...but the real impetus for change then comes from hard work. I like how Edgar Payne puts it, "mix brains with paint!"

...and to cause all that noted, learned, important information to bear fruit one has to work and work ferociously! As you note...seeing this exercise as time in the weight room for painting, I don't think it will come any faster way than such...

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Immortalized
In my studio--CA

Hails from United States

Thanks for dropping by, Harley!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you Sonni,
You're a driving force that doesn't understand slowing down. And an inspiration to your students.

I have constantly told my students, (when I did workshops,) to not think in terms of success or failure; just think that each day is a special gift and make it important in art. Big or not so big.

I've done okay in my art, but, wow, I have friends who have really taken the idea of "not quitting" to the limit.

One fellow got obsessed in things plastic, (like from the film "The Graduate,") and now makes straws.......for a major Drive Through franchise.

I remember starting 40 years ago with my main art dealer. He was just out of college, existing day by day. Now is he absolutely one of the major gallery owners in the United States.

A Golden Age film star who started off drawing as a gifted artist. She found herself on the silver screen as an icon.

And money is not the criteria. Comfortable may be a better word. I know people who make belt buckles, each carved by hand; some great saddle makers; a custom boot maker who has orders several years ahead.

Actually, in my case, I found it "easier" to keep going. Easier on the mind and attitude of life. When I don't draw or paint for a few days, I fall into a hole. So maybe that's the "secret:" when we understand that it is much more positive on our spirits to go with our dreams.
-Harley-
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Immortalized
In my studio--CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
When I don't draw or paint for a few days, I fall into a hole. So maybe that's the "secret:" when we understand that it is much more positive on our spirits to go with our dreams.

I am finding this to be true. It's like a compulsion. The dishes will sit in the sink and the washing won't get on the line because I have got to have my "fix." Now.

Larry (whose online workshop this is) has prodded me with this 120 bad paintings idea where fewer strokes are more, to spend an hour a day painting something small from life. Now when I get up in the morning, make tea or coffee, I start fiddling with paint. If this is the only thing I get out of this workshop, I'm a happy camper. So far, I've had good and bad results. Time will tell, how good I'll get, and how far I can go. Can't wait to get there, but continually remind myself --it's the process that counts!