WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Larry Seiler
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2011, 10:20 AM

Re: A Glimpse of Some of My Work...

Hi Larry
I liked your webinar last night. I feel like I have been 'starting out' for about six years now. I learn a lot from books, as my life doesn't allow me to attend workshops away from home. Thanks for being there, I look forward to next week.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

thanks Beatriceh...we'll have some fun!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2011, 02:52 AM
Enthusiast
Spokane, Washington

Hails from United States

Larry---I enjoyed the class last night; nothing like last minute "technical difficulties" to get the adrenalin pumping. I'm quite familiar with your landscapes, but the portraits are mostly new to me - really love the David Crosby and Howard Johnson works. Great sense of focus and effort in Howard's face.

Dan

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."

Norman Maclean
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2011, 09:09 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

thanks...nothing like taking on a new medium to call the attention and focus in one's learning to be stretched. Like shaking off dust. I guess what I've done with the digital painting has been something of a surprise for me, but apparently not to my son, Jason...who has been after me perhaps for three years or so to try it...
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2011, 12:41 PM
british columbia

Hails from Canada

Larry do you paint with watercolors at all? If you do can you put up some of the paintings.

thanks ted.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2011, 12:47 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I have painted with watercolors, my favorite watercolorist may surprise many, whom is John Singer Sargent...

I'll have to dig some up.

I don't do as many watercolors simply because my time equal to other mediums, the pay off for me simply isn't there. I charge by the square inch on paintings to give you an idea...and I get (based on size) $5 to $7 per square inch on oils...but find myself lucky to get half that on watercolors.

I'm happy to say...that for reasons unknown to myself...I have had success with my gouache being equal in price/value to my oils...but then again, my gouache all tend to be about 8"x 10" in size or smaller...on average.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2011, 01:43 PM
british columbia

Hails from Canada

Larry, why should a artist get more for a oil painting over a watercolor, is it because it takes longer to paint?

ted
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2011, 02:02 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterted
Larry, why should a artist get more for a oil painting over a watercolor, is it because it takes longer to paint?

ted

well the first thing that should be said up front, is that talent and years to develop oneself should not be so limited by choice of media. Thus, we can agree it is unfair.

But we can think of other forms of art to compare.

When we think of John Singer Sargent...(when most think)...we think of his oils, and his portraits. His reputation as a portrait painter.

We rarely consider though he became financially independent from them and the most popular of his day, he walked away from them, tiring of them...and preferred to paint plein air watercolors.

Think of Rembrandt...you think of his Dutch Oil Paintings...but what of his etchings, his prints?

They have value...but not compared to his oils.

I don't know fully...but it seems to be what it is.

About 1993 (trying to remember date exactly), my agent got my paintings into a gallery in the Mall of America in Bloomington, MN (Minneapolis)...but to get in there I had to paint nothing smaller than 22" x 28" and nothing under $2400...

My agent got three pieces in, and this gallery had a $14,000 monthly lease to meet before seeing profits, paying employees etc., so they had to move art, and a good deal of it. Hanging space was valuable. You sold...or you weren't on their walls for long.

They took three pieces from me...and within the first week sold two, my agent called and they wanted several more.

When I arrived at the gallery, the manager was tied up with a customer. I walked over to the one remaining piece on the wall of mine. The label had the piece as an oil..when in fact I had brought them three acrylic paintings. I mixed gelex (today called "Extender Gel Medium") into my acrylics which gave them more body...thicker appearance, and I suppose some confused them with oils. But I had specifically told them they were acrylics.

When I talked to the manager and said, "um...er...you have labeled my painter over there as an oil, and its not. Its an acrylic!"

His eyes got very large...eyebrows raised, and asked me... "how quickly can you get me some oils?"

I do know only one reason I might want more for an oil than say a watercolor from a purely material reason. I use up more pigment on a painting with oils than I will with watercolor, and say one tube of Cadmium Lemon Yellow can run me from $29 to $40...

Painting transparently and thinly...I can get more mileage from my paints with watercolor.

But...I'm not going to defend oils...have no argument to present to boost watercolors. Its one of those "don't shoot the messenger" things...and just reporting that I, and many many artists have run into the same staunch bias over the years.

We have had this discussion many times in the forums of Wetcanvas never to my recollection coming to any resolve.

Larry
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2011, 02:08 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterted
Larry do you paint with watercolors at all? If you do can you put up some of the paintings.

thanks ted.

Here is a wetcanvas forum link for you, Ted...that has had a lot of interest over the past few years..
"You Asked For It...Here's a WIP on My Quick Landscapes in Watercolor"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83973

there you will see steps I have broken down, works I have painted...