WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2011, 07:41 AM
South East England

Hails from England
Portrait - Structured Sritique pls.

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Portrait - Structured Sritique pls.
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24 in.
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
It's still wet.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Structured critiques on anything will be very much appreciated(compisition, colours, value). Not sure with the colour of dark side of the face, do I have to wait till it's a bit dry to fix things?
Thank you.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 AM
South East England

Hails from England
Re: Portrait - Structured Sritique pls.

Could you please move to structured critique, I tried a couple times but it didn't let me. Thanks.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2011, 11:59 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

you can fix things until the paint gets tacky or until the colors turn muddy, then you have to wait until it's dry to do any more.

nicely done i think, only a couple of issues ... her right arm, should the arm be darker within the sleeve? and the wood on the arm of the chair (bottom left corner) wonderful detailing there, but it seems to be the darkest, strongest edged item in the whole painting and it draws they eyes down to it so i'd soften it.

also, her upper lip seems quite a bit thicker than the bottom one ... this may be, in which case it just is what it is, but 'normally' they are more equal or the bottom lip is bigger so just check that.

a mod will move this to structured for you. good to put that request in the title like you have.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2011, 04:49 PM
South East England

Hails from England

Thanks, La.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

I like the composition, the curves, the color scheme. I like the simple but swirling arch in the sofa, which forces the eye back to the woman. I agree she needs some darker shadows under the arm and where arm meets chair.
I am really dying to see a little green in here - some moss, sage, or forest... might pull out the color in her eyes more, but take that with a grain of salt, that is just my wish.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ohio

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by indomum
MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Portrait - Structured Sritique pls.
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24 in.
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
It's still wet.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Structured critiques on anything will be very much appreciated(compisition, colours, value). Not sure with the colour of dark side of the face, do I have to wait till it's a bit dry to fix things?
Thank you.

I think your colors are working here. I don't know what your palette is, but I'd suggest if you wanted a bit more depth in the dark side of her face, to use your warm red with the shadow, both deepening it and also intensifying it. Darker and warmer in the depths of the darkest shadows.

The side of her face to the left is a TINY bit bulgy under her eye, but this might be that the shadow on the edge of it needs to be deepened to turn the contour back.

Absolutely let it all dry before proceeding. You can then oil it up and continue working without messing up what it here. If you don't like something, you just wipe it off.

I think this is a strong portrait. You have captured her dignity and calm.