WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WetCanvas Site Discussions > PROJECT: Product Reviews
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2002, 05:58 AM
San Jose, CA

Hails from United States
I wouldn't read "color quality" as equating to lightfastness/permanence. There are a couple of issues I can think of:

Pigment load - this is an area where different brands differ enormously.

Accuracy/quality of hue - is the alizarin crimson really the right hue or is it off key somehow, etc? (This is where Liquitex sucks, I find; their pigments just don't seem correct somehow.)

(Aside, I think of lightfastness and permanence as the same measure, not two related ones... what's the distinction?)

On the transparency/opaqueness issue, I think the useful rating question would be, is the manufacturer's information about transparency/opaqueness clear and accurate? Some makers are very skimpy and expect you to just know that ultramarine is translucent, for instance; others give quite accurate ratings.

If we report how heavy the pigment load is, and how accurate the colors are, and how accurate the opaqueness information is, I think that would cover the brand variations for "color quality" pretty well.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2002, 03:11 PM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

You are correct re: lightfastness/permanence.

Interesting thought re: tranparency information. Love to hear more thoughts on that subject.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2002, 09:48 PM
A WC! Legend
New York City

Hails from United States
puzzlinon,

Quote:
Accuracy/quality of hue - is the alizarin crimson really the right hue or is it off key somehow, etc? (This is where Liquitex sucks, I find; their pigments just don't seem correct somehow.)

In my experiences using Windsor & Newton, Liquitex, Pebeo, Lascaux and Golden, I haven't had the unfortunate experience you have described.

I guess I have been lucky.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2002, 12:12 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada
Consistancy and texture are important to me, becaase I like to do some finely detailed works that often involve smooth strokes.

You are right Nina ...Golden does not dry as fast as Winsor and Newton..
Stevenson is another brand I came across not long ago, very creamy and doesn not seem to dry out quick at all.

I was using liquitex for quite awhile but have since been told that it contains alot of 'fillers' which could intrude with the permanence of the pigment. I am still hunting down info for that.
Getting transparency info for you too Scott.

Willl this catagory also include acrylics dyes? I work with those also and there are some phenominal ones out there now.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2002, 02:31 PM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

My guess would be that acrylic dyes would be in a separate category....
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2004, 05:39 AM
A Local Legend
Levin, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Re: FOCUS GROUP: Acrylic Paints/Mediums/etc.

Hi Scott..I use Atelier acrylics...the artist quality ones carry a lightfastness rating - for example: Cad. Yellow Medium is ASTM 1, British Woolscale 8:8:8, the same tube has the Characteristic- Opaque, plus it gives the pigment
(conc. Cad Sulphide PY.37) and vehicle: Acrylic Polymer emulsion..
In contrast the yellow light hansa is - semi-transparent,ASTM 2, Woolscale 7-8:7-8:6-7.(Arylamide PY.3)
I find it pretty useful, and certainly would if using glazes.
On the other hand, Pebeo labelling is pretty useless...
I could always list these details for the colours I have(which is most) in Atelier,if there's a place in the Products area.
Gill
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2007, 10:09 PM

Seems like a lot going on here. From what I understand, opacity is directly related to the type of pigment. Several high quality comapanies clearly mark the opacity of the pigment on their tube or jar. The use of a transparent or opaque pigment is simply a mater of technique and personal preference. Both opaque and transparent pigments have certain strengths in certain techniques.

Dry time varies by technique, local temperature, humidity etc. etc. It can also be controlled via retarders. Heavy bodied paints seem to dry slower but generally because the application is thicker. There are consistant testing procedures available from lab companies.

One missing criteria I'd like to suggest is surface sheen when dry. Colors may vary (due to pigment) but manufacturers seem to have a general preference for most colors. Some like a high gloss, others more of a satin sheen.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hope you don't mind my jumping in.
I was enjoying your thread as I'm looking around the different forums to get my bearings.

You can kick me right out again if you want - I'll understand.

I'm an employee at Jack Richeson & Company and noticed you are missing Tri-Art Acrylics on your list. We are now the distributor in the US and the line offers an outstanding selection of acrylics for the professional artist. If there is any information we can provide, I would be happy to help - or you can check out their web: www.tri-art.ca

We will be a new partner to Wet Canvas in the new year, which will make it easier for all WC members to locate more information on any of our paint lines.

Good luck with your acrylic project!
Cheson
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2007, 02:27 PM

Cheson -
Welcome aboard here - I hope you can provide info and support for the Tri-Art affectionatoes here!

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

a. ladd,

I can help you with any information you need.
As we are starting our partnership with WC within a week, and I'm still trying to find out how I can help get product information to members on the site, I am open to any ideas you have.

Is the Product Review Database a place artists look or does each forum have a special place they use for product info?

For now the best place for information is on the manufacturers website:
www.tri-art.ca

For artists within the U.S. interested in the finest quality lines, I would be happy to send printed color charts. For professional artists who already know what they like in a paint, I would suggest looking at a hand-made color chart that shows the opacity/transparency, the gloss/matte finish of the paint and the actual color of the paint. Retail stores have these charts with their display rack or they can be purchased. Another great feature found only on the Stephen Quiller Acrylic line is that each tube is labeled with the complimentary color. This is definitely a professional quality paint worth giving a try if you haven't already done so.

Once our partnership starts you will be able to link to Jack Richeson & Co. directly to find the nearest dealer.

Happy painting,
cheson
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2011, 04:05 PM

I don't know if this helps but natural pigments are usually
opaque and modern pigments are transparent.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2011, 12:17 AM
San Jose, California

Hails from United States

Hi all painters,
This message relates to acrylic paint tubes, not to other specific subjects approached in this thread. I am an artist and art product developer. I developed several products, one of which is yet to be licensed. My task here is to ask any acrylic painter in this Forum about the act of organizing tubes. My product is a tube organizer, can take 60 tubes in a small footprint (15" x 15"), easily accessible, all-aluminum product, with adjustable rows and usable for other tubes as oils, glues, watercolors, cake decoration colors,etc.. Since I won't divulge the actual image of my prototype till it's legally protected, my proposed question is whether anyone out there can envision such a product in their working space; would they buy it, for what price? I am careful in not investing more time and energy on this project if it has no future.
Thanks for your opinion and other perspective,
Vivelart in San Jose, Calif
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2011, 03:23 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

You would be as well to ask the question in the Acrylics or Oils forum.

Remember no commercial links, as per the Member Agreement.

Doug