WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2011, 04:16 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada
Teaching Lifedrawing

Any tips on teaching life drawing to first year college students? Term has 15 classes of 4 hours each. Thanks in advance for your help!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Teaching Lifedrawing

Lauren: I just ran across this post today and since I started teaching Life Drawing when I was a graduate assistant 50 years ago, I'll set down a few thoughts.

In a class of first time students I try to assess where they are at when they come to me, so the first class may be without a model. I used to do it with a still life but these days I now have a couple life size busts and they work great for seeing just how a student has progressed with their abilities of observation. If a school has course outlines, what is taught will have to be followed. You may have to get creative as some "courses of study" can be a little stultifying. On the other hand, if these are private classes and this is the age level, the class can be very individual oriented.

These days High Schools have become quite sophisticated in what art students are learning and I have juried high school art that literally amazed me. However, much of what they do, (of necessity) is from photographs. Then you have to retrain their perception to encompass the third dimension.

A lot of what I teach is based on gesture and blind contour with a liberal amount of study from a skeleton. Good reproduction skeletons can be had from Dick Blick and other suppliers. They have some drawbacks, as in the way the parts are jointed, but they'll do. After students are a little more adept at getting the proportions right, I have them do "transparent" drawings of the figure with the skeletal structure indicated.

I have the greatest success with students when I can get around and with my own pad I carry around, I demonstrate problem areas and how to solve them. If the class is very large, alas, this becomes difficult to do.

Formulaic proportion is not introduced right away. I save that for later until their drawing perceptions have become more acute. Its possible that you may have some who have never drawn before, but usually they have had to take basic drawing. I have spent a lot of time in evening classes at a local community college and I have seen all levels of drawing ability. Those that have the most difficulty have spent a lot of time copying photos and have been told they are "wonderful". They are embarrassed when they experience difficulty drawing from life. These students need extra TLC as they can get very discouraged.

I'm sorry; I'm thinking I am rambling a bit. But I did say "a few thoughts". I hope this helps a bit. You are welcome to receive my Life Drawing Newsletter if you wish. I am always discussing various projects and showing student work. Just email me at tripal42@cox.net. George
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Thanks so much for all these suggestions, George!

I hadn't thought of carrying around a pad of paper to show the students how to do things -- that is a great idea!

I'll email you about specifics. Thanks again!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2011, 02:08 AM
North Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks both Lauren and George. I'm new to WC and stumbled my way to your thread. I am currently teaching college level basic dwg, painting, and fig dwg. I'm on the lookout for ways to improve my teaching skills. I too like the idea of carrying a pad for demos on problem areas. Again, my thanks. Tina Marie.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2011, 10:57 AM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Good for you, Tina Marie!
I haven't yet taught life drawing or painting, but am sure you will find many ways to help your students "see" and develop their skills.