WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2011, 02:05 PM
autolisp

Do You Stretch Canvas?

Hello everyone.

I just read a comment on the www about painting on canvas. The writer stated that some artists only 'fix' their canvases to a support whilst they paint on them. They do not apparently 'stretch' them on to a frame until the painting has 'cured'! Do any of you do this?

Thank you

autolisp
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Enthusiast
a place

Hails from Wake Island
Re: Do You Stretch Canvas?

That sounds like a dumb idea to me.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2011, 02:37 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

autoslip, do you have a specific link?

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2011, 04:00 PM
autolisp

Isn't it always the way. I just tried a search for that link and cannot find it. The comments were tucked in amongst 'artists tips' on a website about the advantages of pochade boxes. The author was describing three different methods of construction. She included a description of a pochade box made from an engineers clipboard, but would not give the link as she stated she was not going to give them credit for an overpriced set of plans. I will look again tomorrow and post it here. I was just curious as I had never heard of this idea before. But I thought. When they have stolen paintings from art galleries I read that they cut them from the frames! Presumably the 'buyer' has to remount them in another frame!

autolisp
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2011, 05:17 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

I have heard of it before but am not sure what the advantage is, well actually I can see the advantage for plein air and ease of transportation. transportation.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Armstrong Valley

Hails from United States

I do not stretch my canvases. I do order beautifully cross-braced and corner-braced museum wrapped canvases from John Annesly. See www.johnannesley.com . I figure if the Louvre and other fine archivists use his stretchers to restore Warhols, Cezannes and Van Gogh's...that's pretty good.

His stuff is pricey, but perfect. I seriously think about it before my pigment ever touches one of 'his' works of art.

Last edited by Rob't Emmet : 07-03-2011 at 06:12 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2011, 06:23 PM

i make my own .. way cheaper than buying pre stretched. And i make them better , use stronger wood, and it has a nice craftsman feel to it , unlike the soulless factory made ones that use cheap wood and have some brand name stamped on the back. It's easy to do.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Enthusiast
Calgary, AB

Hails from Canada

This method does have a couple of advantages. I personally haven't done it but a very talented artist I know of does.

While painting, the canvas is secured to a wood panel or wall with thumbtacks. This allows you to paint on a solid surface without the canvas "bounce". It also allows you to paint to the edge of the canvas easier, although you do have to plan your composition and canvas size to factor in the area around the edges that will ultimately be wrapped around the stretcher bars.

One other advantage is that it allows you to crop your final painting, similiar to if you worked on paper, or to work in unusual sizes. Just use the appropriate size stretcher bars. It also requires alot less storage space until you decide to stretch it.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2011, 09:19 PM
A WC! Legend
Lenexa, Kansas, USA

Hails from United States

I've stretched several canvases for other artists in the past several weeks, including one that was 6 feet by 9 feet, earlier this week. I've also made (and prepared) panels for other artists, including a 5 foot by 6 foot panel prepared with an oil ground, earlier this year.

I have stretched my own canvases for years, and although I have a few unused stretched canvases, I'm painting almost entirely on panel, these days.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2011, 11:27 PM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

I stretch my own, buy some stretched and also tack up loose canvas ( like Yes canvas which I find excellent and like finer grades of linen in its weave) to boards for quick studies. I do so many of them it makes sense to paint them on thin, easily store-able sheets of canvas. - Kevin
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevinwueste
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

I never stretched my own canvas. I just buy them already stretched.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2011, 03:30 AM
autolisp

Thank you for all the replies. So it looks as though it is not such a useless suggestion! It would certainly, as several contributors have said, save on storage space.

autolisp
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2011, 06:48 AM
autolisp

I cannot find the link I originally mentioned. However at the following link I did find this comment from a contributor.

http://pleinairartists.ning.com/foru...age=2#comments

"When Richard Schmid did a demo he painted on primed canvas taped to a board then stretched it after he finished painting the picture.
Its nice as you can change the size of the picture if you like . You are not stuck to the fixed size of the panel."

Hmmmmmm

autolisp

P.S. Perhaps a better question would have been 'Do you paint on unstretched canvas'?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2011, 11:44 AM
California

Hails from United States

Wish I could could have found the link because I have seen some great painters in China working that way, with their paintings hanging to dry, not stretched.

This wasn't part of your question, though considering the Title of your thread, and what some have mentioned on here, I figured I would give you and/or them the link to a post I made since I make my own frames to stretch canvas on. Hope this helps!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937027

By the way, what is your reason for wanting to stretch after painting? I could never figure out why the folks in China did it that way.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Hails from United Kingdom

Coming late to this one but I paint on canvas taped to a board, and stretch and mount it only when the painting is finished.

I buy bulk canvas (fine weave) in a roll, and so can cut it to size as required. I paint aviation art which is highly detailed and so it is far easier to work against a firm surface when transfering the line drawing and painting. In other words I like to work on a rigid surface.

HTH

Pete