May 15, 2011 from 1pm until 6pm there is a plein air out at the Ahlman's Gun Shop in Morristown, MN. "Why, (I'm sure that most of you are wondering) would I ever want to go to a gun shop for a plein air?"
Well, let me tell you. The gun shop is in the front of the property. During the spring, and for one hour of the time that we are there, you will be able to see skeet shooters do their thing and also the fort, yes, I said fort, along with the theme town (complete with saloons and brothels, umh, not real ones, okay to bring the kids) that is built back there. (I was really impressed when I first saw it). They use all 87 beautiful acres located on rolling hills and forest for this. Although the initial plein air is May 15, you will be able to visit the area again just by checking into the gun shop and letting Larry know (the owner) that you will be out there (depending on what ranges are firing there will be restrictions as to where you can go).
You will have access to horse n buggie type stuff, theres a talking moose and a bisson that you can get REAL close to. LOL. A jail and so on. There are alot of trees and other extremely interesting landscape there also.
Now, for the "funner" part. Competition Time!! Only one work per artist will be accepted for this competition. Art work must be from the plein air
started at Ahlman's. This does not mean you have to paint a building, it can be of the landscape, anything as long as it is part of the 87 acres of the gun shop property. To participate in the Art Competion, all completed and framed artwork from this plein air must be turned into Barb's Custom Framing and Gift Shop in Morristown between August 4th through August 15th. You'll meet me at the May 15th PA, I should be telling you where not to set up between 1 - 2pm because of the skeet shooting and giving you a handout on this information . The shop is open Wed - Sat 10am to 5pm and may be brought in then, otherwise for different times call 507-685-2565 for an appointment time. Only one artwork per artist for the contest, I don't know the turnout numbers for this and I want to make sure I have plenty of space for everything.
All artwork may be sold at this event. If you do not have a MN Sales Tax number, you may use mine for the event because I am running the booth under my store name. I will collect the tax and report it to MN. You may sell more artwork at this event if you wish. If I could request of participants temporary use of easels, stands or anything else that will hold art, it will be greatly appreciated.
Prizes are donated by Barb's Custom Framing & Gift Shop of Morristown and Ahlman's Gun Shop of Morristown.
Art work will be on display at the Rounders Shootout August 27th and Aug 28th of 2011. There will be approximately 6-7000 people participating in this yearly Ahlman's Gun Shop extraviganiza.
Judging will consist of voting by the people for all catagories.
Highest award will be "The People's Choice", this artist will win a $250.00 framing package from Barb's Custom Framing in Morristown. Ahlman's have not determined their prize yet. Barb's will also donate 3 to 5 additional awards determining the number of entrants. As the organizer and participant of this plein air, Barb will not be elegible for The People's Choice Award or other awards that she is donating but will be elegible for the Ahlman's donations. All artist's names on the art work will be kept covered during judging time.
- Only one artwork per artist regardless of media type for the competition.
- ALL competition artwork must be of some area of the Ahlman's Gun Shop property with a description of where it is located in the property.
- Art work should be framed prior to drop off at Barb's Custom Framing. It is NOT REQUIRED to have Barb frame your art but Barb will frame for you if needed and prior arrangements are made.
- When artwork is dropped off at Barb's Custom Framing, you may bring more than one, but only one will be accepted for the contest.
- When all artwork dropped off should have a 3x5 card with the following information attached to the BACK of the artwork so it may not be seen for judging: Full Name, Full mailing address, contact phone number.
- On a seperate card, this card will be for the front, the name of the art, a brief description of where this painting was done on the property, media used and the sales price if selling. (no commission on sales, it's all yours)
- Judging will be done by people visiting the booth. They will view the artwork, select it's number and put it into a sealed box that will not be opened until the day after the end of the event.
- Any monies collected for sales of artwork and all unsold artwork will be available the day after the event for pick up.
- Contest sold Artwork will be picked up at the end of the event by the buyer.
- Non-contest sold Artwork will be picked up by the buyers at any time.
- If a customer pays by credit card, visa or master card, I have to charge a 8% fee because my merchants accounts will charge me that for calling it in on the spot for approval. If you don't want charge cards accepted for your artwork, you must let me know prior.
Well, thats the general quidelines. Hope I covered everything. Questions, please call Barb at 507-685-2565. Thanks for your interest in advance.