WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wyoming

Hails from United States
Re: A Composition Check List

All the rules are good but today I have a headache so just a simple question. which I probably have figured out but want to know your input. does the wolf need to be placed differently or made larger?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/atta...d=1173549 374
Attached Images

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2007, 09:22 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artaholic
All the rules are good but today I have a headache so just a simple question. which I probably have figured out but want to know your input. does the wolf need to be placed differently or made larger?

Seems to me the wolf's [our] left ear is too close to the background mountains. I'd suggest either raising the background mountain peak(s), or shifting the wolf head up or down. You could make the head larger, but be aware of the danger of mismatched sizing or perspective.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2007, 08:36 PM

To go with the guitarist analogy, Eddie Van Halen - one of the best, inventive, original (and granted, very talented) to ever play - has said many times that the only rule that his music teacher in college had was "if it sounds good, it is good".

I'd say the same applies to painting. If it looks good, it is good - technically "correct" or not. It is good to have some basis of tried and true methodology - it can really help when you can tell that something doesn't work but you just can't quite put your finger on it. I also feel that others opinions help greatly - especially "non-artists" - even when I am happy with it or don't see anything "wrong" in a painting.

If you can ask them to go ahead and "crush me" and let them really be critical without getting offended or lose self-confidence, one can get a lot of diverse opinions on what "general" things people like or don't like to see in a painting - many times contrary to each other. Which should also go to show that it depends on the person as to what rules actually work or not. Sorta like music - some like the "rules" of rock, but not rap. Maybe country, but not classical. Maybe a big mix or range, and sometimes they mix well, and other times they don't.

It just depends.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2007, 11:44 PM
Florida (Gulf Coast)

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artaholic

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/atta...d=1173549 374

With all this debate about rules vs. artistic libertarianism, you are one breath of fresh air. Thank you. I hope I see your wolf finished sometime.

http://artenlightens.com
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Colorado

Hails from United States

I'd have wolfy break the horizon line so that the eye doesn't run off the right side of the picture. You can do that with a bigger wolfie or by positioning wolfie higher. If you don't want to move woof woof- then find another element which will keep the eye going back into the frame on the right side.

Ziska
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2007, 03:44 PM

Re: Composition Check List
These are good fundamentals of painting. Building on a strong foundation allows the artist to venture into the art of breaking some rules to present a a unique presentation about a subject. The artist needs to convey excitement and passion in the work. I have excitement but am still weak with the composition elements which can make my paintings give the wrong message by leading the eye to the wrong place. I know these principals can be found in many books but I love how you put it all together, so that I can print it and keep it in my studio for reference. Thanks for the time it took. Regards, Beartful
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2008, 09:26 AM

Hails from United States

Interesting thread. Brings me back to my basic art school days. I plan on teaching a class in the night school on Composition and Design through the use of collage......I have been exploring the area of Mixed Media in the last few years. Any suggestions for planning this class? It will only be 8 weeks long?
Carole
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2008, 01:47 AM

I will use this list, thank you very much.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Mystic CT

Hails from United States

Thank you for the Check List. I'm sure I will use it & read more about what you are referencing in some instances.

I have been doing Art my whole life off and on. I have not much formal training - I decided to go back to basics with an oil painting class. Although I don't like rules as a rule... and sometimes don't agree with the teacher. I feel like I'm there to learn & "remember" the rules of color & composition. He reminded me of a great many things and SHOWED me the rules through reviewing paintings of great masters.

I agree you need to know the rules - saves a great amount of time from "reinventing the wheel". Then when you get proficient you can break some or all if it serves your purpose.

By the way LOVE THE SUGGESTION ABOUT THE WOLF being bigger & breaking the horizon line. I can't wait to see the end result!
Jodi
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2008, 04:04 AM
A Local Legend
Levin, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Ooh Ohhh Ooooh, sticking my hand up enthusiastically!!!!
I know another very very helpful tool that will complete paintings and add more interest.....
Make all your corners (if there are corners) of both a different design(ie, diff shaped negative space or design) plus at least 2 or more corners of a differing tone....so that if you isolate each corner they are all interesting and not mimicking each other.....helped me enormously.....
Did I see anything about employing the full tonal range? fully dark, and fully light with the additional tones between..... forgive me if so....I did quickly skim the list....
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2009, 04:53 AM
Whitehouse Station, NJ

Hails from United States

"does the wolf need to be placed differently or made larger?"

That question is unable to be answered without mentioning what you're attempting to say to your viewing audience. All compositional rules should be applied according to what it is you are attempting to say in your work.

Never ask your friends or relatives for their opinions because they'll only tell you what they think you want to hear (that's why they're your friends).
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:53 PM

That's great!
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2010, 04:48 AM

Hi,

This is what I've been looking for. Thanks for the info.

Regards
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Chiasso

Hails from Switzerland

Thank you, nice reading. Before I came here, I created some webpages on the topic and I am still trying (also for me) to make clearer points. And I am preparing some more pictures: http://www.non-solo-arte.com/composition-in-art.html. These are more notes for me but I also happen to share them through my website.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 AM

Great list. i will keep it handy when i'm painting . A great reference tool.

I am new to wet canvas and have been painting for a few years now.I would like some advice on my painting compositions. I find someone else's critique always help me see where i'm going wrong or where i could improve.

Nicole