WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

Corfe in the mist (Structured Critiques)

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Corfe in the mist (Structured Critiques)
Year Created: 2011
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper 300# Suanders Waterford rough
Dimension: 22x15 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the third of a series of 4 or 5 paintings of Corfe Castle (ruin), Dorset, England, painted from photos and memories from last summer.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I was trying to depict the hill and most of the ruins shrouded in mists, obscuring most of the view, in the early moning.

please move to Structured Critiques. thx

Last edited by claude j greengrass : 01-27-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typos in the submission processs
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Corfe in the mist (Structured Critiques)

oooh, really liking the atmosphere of this one! dark, moody, mysterious elegance.

but, the strong downward bulbous bottom right section sucks me right off the page and into an evil place ... suggest a bit of horizontal there to bounce me back up.
also, might be a bit strong on the alizarin ... is that alizarin?

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_
...the strong downward bulbous bottom right section sucks me right off the page and into an evil place ... suggest a bit of horizontal there to bounce me back up.
I'll take that on board and add a bit of ruin castle to the right edge stop the decent into the precipice
Quote:
Originally Posted by La_
...also, might be a bit strong on the alizarin ... is that alizarin?
No alizarin on my palette. The redness in the darkness is Quinacridone Violet (PV19)

thanks la for the feedback
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2011, 04:20 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

there isn't a good deal of art elements...involved which means that which is represented requires getting a lot of mileage out of it. Intrigue and variation are two essentials to pull of compelling work.

to assure more intrigue in this piece, I would have recommended not near dividing this work in half. Have the darker masses near the bottom third and the upper area empty...or vice versa. When both halves are near equal it infers that neither area was interesting enough to you the artist to give the greater emphasis. By creating one area having greater void, it draws attention to that which then by comparison is different.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Good advice, Larry. Thanks for your feedback. If I decide to re-visit this painting, I will confine the dark to the lower third.