WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2011, 03:55 PM

Hails from Netherlands
A Dance for Ten Colours

'A Dance for Ten Colours'

50*65cm on Canson mi-teintes (smooth side)
The ten colours were composed using pencils: Faber-Castell Polychromos, Derwent Coloursoft, Talens Van Gogh

Last edited by atune : 01-12-2011 at 04:44 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast

Gold Membership
Hails from Netherlands
Re: A Dance for Ten Colours

Beautiful composition.
The colours are so same coloured .
How do you get the colours that way atune ?...you must give an equal and very light pressure all around,I like it a lot.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Lord of the Arts
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

An excellent example of the importance of negative shapes - this is very intriguing and I'm with Timo - very consistent colour application!

Nicole
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland

What hues used form Van Gogh series?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2011, 04:47 AM

Beautiful!

Love everything, from the shapes, to the smoothness, to the sharp edges, to the flow... yummy!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2011, 07:25 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Belleville ,Ontario

Hails from Canada

I love this. wonderful colors and all same tone look to them.

It is really nice to see an abstract look in cp. Very nice job on this piece.

"It takes two artists to do a painting. One to paint it and the other to shoot him before he ruins it"
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2011, 05:20 PM

Hails from Netherlands

I use very light and quite horizontal strokes in all directions. Also in the final layers (after a lot of time) I keep this light touch, no burnishing or something else. There is always a moment after a lot of layers that you see a colour is 'suddenly' getting much more saturated. That's nice, and then I simply continue, going for again such a moment. No hurry is important to me and to the result, I guess. I like to keep a very little of the paper shining through though, to keep it all together, say, to let it 'breathe'.

These ten colours were all done out of three different colours. They are not single-pencil colours. I feel this gives the colours more variety and depth. Also I needed to do this for there were not the right pencils for the specific colour combination I was looking for. So 'below' there are different and also darker colours; greys, yellow, browns and blues. I have first been for more than a day working separately to create (the recipes for) this combination of colours, trying out all kinds of combinations of pencils. And it also makes a lot of difference which colour is applied first or last (or in between).

The basic idea for the colours in this project was the combination of green and violet, in a couple of shades.

With the help of a few other colours, and also a tight but essentially simple design, I have tried to create a happy marriage between these two generic colours.

Negative shapes indeed. A lot of work in the design stage has been the (finding the right parts for) removal of lots of other shapes out of a much more complicated drawing.

I feel it is a joy to lay down great colours! This was a very pleasurable one to do.