WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 PM

Color mixing chart for colored pencils

Hi everyone,

I'm new at colored pencils, and am not familiar with mixing colors. I understand basic color theory, but when it comes to colored pencils I'm still stuck in the elementary mindset that all you have to do is use lighter and darker shades of a certain midtone.

Mixing drastically different colors only occured to me when I was glancing through a colored pencil book and saw that the author put deep purples in the shadows of her oranges... but the final shadows somehow still looked like a dark orange. Fascinating!

So, I would like to gain a better understanding of CPs and make a chart of how my pencils mix with each other, but I'm not sure how to do it!

I found one or two threads about how to make mixing charts for paints, but I'm not sure if the same mixing principles can be applied to CPs. Besides, those paint charts involved mixing only a few colors, whereas I'm staring at my 120 Prisma Premiers and boggling over all the possible combinations and permutations.

How should I tackle this?

If there're other threads that have discussed this, please share the links! I couldn't seem to find them. Meanwhile, I will also be reading up more on color theory.

Thank you!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2011, 03:12 AM
Queensland

Hails from Australia
Re: Color mixing chart for colored pencils

Hi Shennaniah an artist called Janie Gildow has a book and DVD on coloured pencil which talks about the colour wheel. You should be able to download it from this site.
http://www.ccpvideos.com/page/CCP/CTGY/ARTJG#downloads Go to the top one "Art Instruction Video" site then click on "Downloads & Extras" then down to "Color Predictors Screen" then join & this requests the Chart.
If you have trouble give me a private post & I"ll try to help you out further.
Cheers B
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shennaniah
So, I would like to gain a better understanding of CPs and make a chart of how my pencils mix with each other, but I'm not sure how to do it!

If you visit the cp library index (link in my sig line) you'll see many many threads dedicated to color charts. There are also threads about creating your own color wheel.

The best thing you can do is experiment. Just start playing and layering the pencils, one color and then another, and see what you come up with. Some of your color swatches will *sing*. Others will look like a muddy mess. This is normal, don't panic. If you get a muddy mess, try to figure out where it went wrong on you-- and then try again.

Another very helpful thing to do is make sure you have lots of room in the margins of a piece you are working on or scraps of that same paper so you can experiment with color combinations as you work. These are the "test swatches and practice bits" I'm constantly suggesting.

Good luck.
Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Nevada

Hails from United States

Just expanding on Brissie's post, Janie Gildow has a website with downloadable classes, I have purchased several and found them very informative especially if you are a beginner. There are several that deal with mixing colors. I believe there is a link to her site on the page that Brissie gave you. It's the RT Pencils academy. Good luck.

Sheri

Last edited by sheri : 01-05-2011 at 07:23 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Michigan

Hails from United States

Check out Flamelily and developing color awareness. She did a fantastic job of looking at color theory with colored pencils. Also check out Arlene Steinberg's book Masterful Color. That said, playing with your pencils is fun way to learn.