Re: New Watercolor Portrait Book
thanks for asking for ideas. I paint people in watercolour - I'm not sure what your interpretation of 'portrait' encompasses, but for me it's just a painting where a person is the focal point, so not necessarily formal in the traditional sense. The things that I struggle with most are:
1. how to incorporate a background?
2. how realist or abstract should the background be?
3. compositional aspects - how to add some dynamism?
4. what shadow colours - warm/cool, blue/other?
5. how to do hair as blocks rather than individual strands?
6. what colours are shadows in blonde hair?
7. how to paint hands? :-)