WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Painting from the Masters
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2011, 02:25 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

APRIL Painting with the Masters 2011 - Cecilia Beaux

CECILIA BEAUX
1855-1942

For the month of April we will look at Cecilia Beaux, considered by many to be the finest woman painter active in America at the turn of the century. I think it’s fitting that we move on to Beaux after studying Eakins, as Ms. Beaux was a student of Eakins at the Pennsylvania School of Fine Arts. She later taught at this school. Her work has been compared to Sargent although she was not nearly as prolific as he was. Beaux was not only technically masterful in her rich, vigorous manipulation of paint and her subtle orchestration of color, but is also recalled as a keen observer and an innovative designer. By 1902 Beaux was recognized as one of the top portrait painters in America. She had exhibited her work and garnered prizes in museum exhibitions from Philadelphia to New York to Paris. She was awarded full membership in the male-dominated National Academy. And perhaps just as telling of her popularity, she painted a portrait of Mrs. Theodore Roosevelt and her daughter in the White House, Mrs. Theodore Roosevelt and Daughter Ethel (1901-02, private collection).

Beaux was born in Philadelphia. Due to her mother's early death and her French father's subsequent departure to Europe, she was raised by her maternal grandmother and aunt. The example of her aunt, the artist Eliza Lewitt, was a very positive one for her. With her family's support and her aunt's inspiration, Beaux set out to be a painter. At the age of sixteen she studied drawing under Catherine Drinker, an historical and religious painter whose brother later married Beaux's sister. In 1872 or 1873, she took instruction from Adolf Van der Whalen, a Dutch artist active in Philadelphia. She also appears to have taken classes at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts between 1877 and 1879 under Thomas Eakins. Additionally, between 1881 and 1883, Beaux studied semi-privately in a friend's studio with William Sartain. Between 1888 and 1889, Beaux traveled to Europe where she studied at the AcadEmie Julian and the Colarrosi Academie under Bouguereau, Fleury, Dagnan-Bouveret, and Courtois, as well as privately with Benjamin Constant. In 1895, she became the first full-time woman faculty member at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, where she would teach drawing, painting, and portraiture for the next twenty years.

Beaux's rich use of buttery strokes and exquisitely fine-tuned orchestration of whites and blacks reveal her respect for the preeminent portrait painter of her day, John Singer Sargent. The flattened picture plane, cropped forms, and bold reductive masses also indicate her thorough understanding of Japanese art as interpreted by such leading French Impressionists as Edouard Manet and Edgar Degas. In intimate works depicting friends or family, as in Ernesta with Nurse (1894, Metropolitan Museum of Art ) and Henry Sturgis Drinker (1898, National Museum of Art Beaux excelled as an insightful portraitist. After 1900, however, her work became increasingly more superficial despite her extraordinary technical facility. By the time she had gained virtually universal recognition as one of America's leading portrait painters in the teens and early twenties, much of her early edge had eroded.

I am posting four paintings here, along with their sizes and background. Two are fairly simple pieces and two are perhaps a bit more challenging. I encourage you to paint the pieces as close to their original size as possible. If you don’t have a canvas in the exact size, consider cropping or painting slightly smaller. Do not attempt to reduce your painting to an 8” x 10”; you will struggle needlessly. It is always easier to paint things larger because you can actually observe and try to record the detail. Find a reference for your painting that is clear and accurate in color. Do not try to use two or more references for color as this will only confuse you. Think about your underpainting (if you use one) and how it will affect your upper layer of colors.

Above all, have fun and keep an open mind and don’t get stressed—it is just paint and it scrapes off easily – unlike watercolor or acrylic. It is infinitely workable and changeable and your options are always open. Not many mediums are that easy to work with so enjoy it for what it is!
If you look on the internet and view some of Ms. Beaux’s other works you will come across a self portrait that she did where we can see how she began her painting. This is a loose painting with a brown or umber colored underpainting. She probably followed the consensus of the day and began her paintings with such an underpainting – a value map, if you will. I recommend trying it this way if you want to follow Beaux’s style but you don’t have to.

OPTION NO. 1
This is perhaps Ms. Beaux’s most famous work, Henry Sturgis Drinker, Oil on canvas, 1898
87.8 x 121.9 cm (34.57" x 48")

I love this painting for three reasons: 1) The guy’s handlebar moustache 2) He is holding a cat and 3) The looseness of the strokes
Number three will make this a difficult copy to do accurately.

It is obvious to me that Ms. Beaux used a large brush and lots of paint and she was not afraid to “leave” the original swatches of color – look at the chair and how loosely it is modeled. When I see the hand I am amazed! Almost Fechin like- it is painted in so few strokes. Look especially at the chair arm behind the cat’s head---it is painted in just enough so that we know it for what it is but it is very unimportant to the composition and she had the guts to just LEAVE IT. I am so guilty of overworking paintings many times- even though I tell myself to just “stop!” This lady seems to have been able to recognize a stopping point and stuck to it. Good luck to those of you who want to try this. Another option would be to paint just the crop of his head and shoulders as I have here-perhaps on an 11” x 14” canvas.

Here is a link to the artrenewal site with a pretty good image:

http://www.artrenewal.org/artwork/28...nker-large.jpg

OPTION 1-A
Head and shoulders only

-----------------------------------------------

OPTION NO. 2
Ernesta and Her Nurse, 1894, 50.5” x 38”

Here is a link to this painting that looks pretty good
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_SUBGzd1BG60/SX...sta%201894.jpg

--------------------------

OPTION NO. 3

A Little Girl (Fanny Travis Cochran), 1887. Oil on canvas. 36 x 29 3/16 inches (91.4 x 74.1 cm)
Here is a very good link to this painting, and again if you do not want to do the entire figure, consider cropping it and painting her head and shoulders.

http://0.tqn.com/d/arthistory/1/0/2/b/pafa_0208_02.jpg

---------------------------------

OPTION NO. 4
Head of a Woman, 1888

I am not sure of the size of this piece- but I would guess between 11" x 14" and 14" x 18"
Here is a high resolution link to a site with this image:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LsWTjooumxo/TYYO0gmW50I/AAAAAAAAksE/E8a7YcQYwhM/s1600/7%2BCecilia%2BBeaux%2B%2528American%2Bpainter%252C %2B1855-1942%2529%2BHead%2Bof%2Ba%2BFrench%2BPeasant%2BWom an%2B1888.jpg

I think we have a good assortment to choose from and I hope we have lots of brave souls ready to experiment with this master painter. I chose Cecilia because she was one of the few women painters who worked around the turn of the century, alongside other great painters of the time. She seems to have specialized in portraits although I saw a few landscapes. We have so many women artists nowadays that I thought it only fitting to pay our respects to one who blazed the path for the rest of us.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2011, 04:10 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States
Re: APRIL Painting with the Masters 2011 - Cecilia Beaux

Nora, this is another remarkable choice..the portraits are amazing. And, it is especially nice to see a woman artist featured.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2011, 04:35 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Wow, Nora! I love the one with the cat. Her colors are so subtle, and rich at the same time!

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2011, 05:27 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Nora what Lovely work you've done, thanks for your hard work girl , I mite try a alla prima study of one , not sure mite crop the work too if thats ok with you ...
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Bandung, Indonesia

Hails from Indonesia

Oh my God. It looks the 4 options are all too hard for me to copy. If I choose the "head of a woman", will you tell me what colours I should use for the skintone? (This skintone things discourage me time to time).
"Above all, have fun and keep an open mind and don’t get stressed—" >> I like this line, thank you, Nora
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 PM

Hails from United States

I understand choosing her portraits as options but not even a one of her stunning landscapes?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkhaus
I understand choosing her portraits as options but not even a one of her stunning landscapes?

I don't mind at all if someone wants to paint one of her landscapes. Just post a reference picture in the thread along with your work. I didn't really find one I was especially intrigued by. In fact I onely saw one so if someone wants to PM me with what they think is a good reference image of one I will consider adding it to the thread.

I have my canvas primed and I am going to try one of the head studies first I think.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2011, 09:55 PM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

A huge favorite of mine! great stuff!

Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2011, 05:11 PM

No one seems to be jumping right in so I guess I will go first.

I cropped Henry Drinker to 11" x14" and I am going to do a head and shoulders painting of him. The cloudy effect she used on the mustache is fascinating and I am going to work on duplicating that airiness and the free yet deliberate brushstrokes.

Primed the linen canvas with a coat of asphaltum mixed with medium and Gamsol. Wiped it off, allowed it to dry and did a skecth with vine charcoal and I have sprayed it with retouch varnish. After this dries I'll be ready to begin the painting.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from England

im gonna have a go at Head of a Woman, 1888 , very loose for me so should be fun
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 AM

Hi Leigh.... so glad you showed up. It is very lonely here in this little thread. I feel like I am talking to myself in front of hundreds of people. So I will just get on with it and post my duty painting and move on to other things.

11" x 14" detail of Henry S. Drinker

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollardays
Hi Leigh.... so glad you showed up. It is very lonely here in this little thread. I feel like I am talking to myself in front of hundreds of people. So I will just get on with it and post my duty painting and move on to other things.

You're certainly not alone. There are a lot of lurkers like myself who watch and learn. I intend to join this thread in a week or so, but first I'm working out some foundational techniques in shapes and values. When I'm done, I'll either post it (a copy of Thomas Eakins himself) as a separate thread or slink away in ignominy. Then I will see what damage I can do in this thread!

Vic
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from England

looking forward to your painting start vic
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollardays
11" x 14" detail of Henry S. Drinker

Nora you paint with such Skill , love it ...
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Indiana

Hails from United States

You made it look loose and easy. . tempting . . . .