WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > Photo Equipment and Software
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Cheshire U.K.

Hails from United Kingdom
Camera Screens

I recently bought myself a Panasonic Lumix TZ20 point & shoot as a second camera.
As is usual with this sort of camera it has no viewfinder & the other day I was taking some shots in bright sunlight & I could hardly see the screen.
This problem was compounded by the fact that my glasses are photochromic & darkened in the bright light, consequently I was practically shooting blind.
Has anyone any tips to remedy this situation, admittedly I did take my glasses off but that only partially remedied the situation.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 06:33 PM
High on the Cumberland Plateau TN

Hails from United States
Re: Camera Screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodron
I recently bought myself a Panasonic Lumix TZ20 point & shoot as a second camera.
As is usual with this sort of camera it has no viewfinder & the other day I was taking some shots in bright sunlight & I could hardly see the screen.
This problem was compounded by the fact that my glasses are photochromic & darkened in the bright light, consequently I was practically shooting blind.
Has anyone any tips to remedy this situation, admittedly I did take my glasses off but that only partially remedied the situation.

Look at the site call Hoodman.. I have a Pentax Optio W90. I purchase a video hood..$16.95. It works some what.. but the straps interfer with the camera sensors.. I will in time mount the camera on a perment base and make a perment shade hood.. or buy a cap with a very long bill or do as the old timers did with field camera..
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2012, 10:09 PM

Not familiar with the Optio, but many point and shoots allow you to vary the screen brightness; turning it up may help. I stopped using variable density sunglasses because they were a pain even with 35mm SLRs. I far prefer to use flip up/down clip on sunglasses. Apart from the viewfinder issue, there is also a constant color shift rather than a variable effect, so I find it easier to paint or photograph with flip ups. Besides . . it is much cheaper if they ever get scratched or misplaced!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2012, 11:19 AM

Hails from United States

It's not the brightness of the screen.. It's the glare of the screen. In full sun you cannot even see what you are shooting.Unless you have a very wide brim cap or dark towel too drape over your head. Once I get settled in my new place I will make a box and place the camera in the box. It does beautiful macro shots flower & insect. I also got it for Radio Control and remote shooting.
On the Pentax Optio W90 I am some what disappointed on the display screen it scratches easily and the glare.

Last edited by tinman : 06-29-2012 at 11:39 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodron
Different screen tech works better or worse on different lighting.. Not much can change the hardware tho just jack the brightness to max.
Sony has a solution for this called the White Magic, which basically adds a white pixel to increase brightness, so future sony cameras will probably have that technology.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Cheshire U.K.

I have since bought a LCD hood & it is working to a degree.
I have also increased the brightness which has helped.
My thanks to all of you who have replied.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2012, 11:15 AM

Hails from United States

Increasing or Decreasing the brightness on my LCD Screen on the Pentax Optio W90 is of no use in bright sunlight. The screen is approx: 3" x 2.3" and some sort of poly material, for being a outdoor submersible all terrain P&S Camera the LCD is all ready scratched. I purchased a Hood Man strap on screen shade, OK for land scape on tripod, but viewing a flower looking down worthless. Once I am settled into a permanent place I will make a nice wooden box , similar to a old time field camera, and have a small eye view port on the back and have the front of the camera exposed. ON the Hood Man Shade the straps interfere with the sensors on the camera,or manipulation of the controls on the other end of the camera. The Pentax Optio W90 does Flowers & Macro beautifully. They have 1 sun shade you have too peel and stick a frame around the LCD Screen,then a plastic hood semi-rotates on the frame. Very little room on the Pentax too mount anything. One reason for making the wooden box,I will used the tripod mount. Then add a 1/4-20 threaded insert to the box.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Cheshire U.K.

I for one would be interested to see your design,Tinman.
You would think that some camera manufacturer would come up with an answer.
If ever one does I think there would be a big increase in their sales.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2012, 01:08 PM

Hails from United States

If your handy with wood.. Make it fancy with marquetry.. A thin wall wood box that wood enclose your brand & size & style of camera. Leaving the lens and sensors open on the front, and enclosing the LCD screen with a eye hole or even getting a 1x 2x 3x eye lope with eye cup mounted on the exterior.Leaving the controls open. Using the cameras tripod mount too affix too the box, and adding a threaded wood insert with a 1/4-20- 3/8-16 thread for mounting quick shoe on exterior for your brand of tripod.
You would have too figure the depth of the unit so you could view the eye angle on the LCD screen.. Using foam board for a mock up before cutting the wood. Most model shop planes ~ boats sell mahogany ~ bass wood. online wood supplier sell more exotic woods and the marquetry all ready made that can be applied too the wood. The use of real brass as accents would also be used. Maybe as corner pieces,or base where the tripod shoe attaches..It would be one of a kind.. You could add a shutter cable too the box.. or a exterior hot shoe. Top or sides..

From this link and looking at the back you can see what i have been talking about with the glare issue.
http://www.pentaximaging.com/about/press/223

Last edited by tinman : 07-13-2012 at 01:13 PM.