#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2019, 05:47 AM
A WC! Legend
Auchtermuchty Fife Scotland

Hails from Scotland
Re: RMS 'Persia' - Cunnard Paddle Liner, 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picqwik
Vegaskip ... Thanks, Jim. High praise, indeed, from who I consider to be the best marine artist on the site. I've been lurking here for the past month and have gone back and looked at possibly every painting you've ever posted. I am astounded by your talent and knowledge of naval history.

I very familiar with the type of artists you refer to. Here in the States, we had similar artists who painted in this manner. Foremost among them was Antonio Jacobsen who literally painted a couple of thousand of these ship portraits.

Before I retired, and started painting myself, I was a full time fine art dealer with a prominent gallery in the metro New York area. I was fortunate during
those years, to have had several Jacobsens pass through my hands. I've always had a special love of the sea and maritime art in general.

While I wouldn't have the audacity to call myself a marine artist, I still like to have a go at painting ships. I just love the subject. I can't wait now, to get back at it.

Cheers, Dave

Thank you Dave, praise indeed, but I wouldn’t go that far. I enjoy what I do and that is half the battle. 2017 I did the cover and some illustrations for a book 'Liberty’s War'. The US Merchant Marine Academy Museum acquired the cover painting and arranged for me to attend the Book Launch at the Academy on Long Island NY. My son and I had four days there and Manhattan and I had a quick 'whizz' round the 'Met'.
If you want to see one of my paintings 'live' the USMMA Museum is where you will find one. Well worth a visit, they have a terrific collection of 'Ship Paintings' and other stuff, and the setting is magnificent.
Jim

At the Book Launch
Name:  30943148-66EE-4526-8690-349B72E3F09A.jpeg
Views: 102
Size:  100.3 KB

Last edited by vegaskip : 04-28-2019 at 05:49 AM.