View Single Post
  #1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 06:56 AM

How to preserve your oils paints after a plein air painting session

Want some valuable tips on how to save money on paint? and how to cut down on all that weight you have to carry when painting plein air? Then read on

When I go out plein air painting, I dont carry paint tubes with me they are far too heavy. Instead, I put out plenty of paint on my palette. It saves weight and it helps me concentrate on my painting instead of wasting time continually squeezing out paint. But what to do with all that paint at the end of the day?

This is my freezer. It is by far the simplest way to stop your oil paints from drying out. Just put your palette in the freezer! The cold temperature will slow down the rate of oxidation and evaporation, and so preserve your paint. See method #5 for a variation on this tip.

This method is even more convenient if you have a pochade box or plein air easel that will fit in the freezer compartment. Then you dont have to mess around with trying to remove a palette from your box.

I am using a Daytripper easel and it just fits in a standard fridge.

Note that the freezing point of linseed oil (the main oil in most oil paints) is -20C (-4F). Most people set their freezers at -18C (0F) , so oil paint will not freeze in most home freezers.

Pros:
This is the fastest and most convenient method

Cons:
The owner of the kitchen might shout at you 🙂

For more tips on making your paints last longer, see my blog.