Thread: Faces
View Single Post
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2019, 06:08 PM
Immortalized
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States
Re: Faces

I generally prefer my portraiture work in a more realistic style, these read as intentionally done in the naive expressionist style. As such they should be quite appealing to those who disdain the more realistic endeavors, to express the directness of mark making and symbolic appreciation. That said, if the goal is as it appears to be to me, then I would like to see more emphasis on the symbolic elements, providing us more extremes of symbolic impression, really making the eyes even larger than they are, to the point of almost not fitting on the face. Giving us some of the elements seen in older religious works, radiating lines leading the viewer to the already incredibly large eyes, expressive background mark making to indicate trees or other foliage done in the same symbolic approach.

If however the intent is for more realism... then do the opposite of all that and focus on the elements of structural approach. I doubt this is the case given the other work I have seen from you on the forums. Unfortunately, it can make giving any kind of serious feedback difficult, as it would require study of an art form that I tend to mostly avoid. Naive art is one that is difficult for me to appreciate, as I find symbolic representation to be almost more an exercise in design, and it must be done with regards to that underlying design at a very high level for me to look past the flat disregard for physics.

I care less for expressionism unless it is regards to edge handling and directness with clear impression for realistic expression. A few really good lines of varied thickness that can give me a strong feeling of a portrait can be quite beautiful and moving, but each must be made with such purposeful and accurate strokes as to be almost a work of art in itself.

So done at a very high level I think it can work well, but I feel these need to be pushed harder and with strokes made to really sell the direct and carefree application. They appear to have been difficult and not simply handled, which feels more contrived because of it.

I hope you do not take offense to my words here, as I mean them well, but I wanted to give honest and clear reasoning. Given your history of work, I assume you have probably encountered similar critique in the past and probably made a choice on how you wanted to handle your work. So ultimately, if you are happy with them, then good for you, they provide an excellent way to relax.

Delofasht