View Single Post
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States
Re: John's May Journal - Pen and Wash

Thanks Rainy, Candace and Jamie!

Jamie - The paper according to their website is 80# Teton text, archival grade. They don't give a gsm number, and to me it seems nicely robust but definitely not as thick as watercolor papers. It is definitely thinner than the Venezia paper. It is an ivory or cream off-white and has a texture whose 'grain' runs vertically. It has the look and feel of high-quality paper you would expect to see in a nice wedding announcement letter, or something of that nature. In the photo I took, you can see some ghosting from the writing I did on the other side, but the photoshop work I did to balance levels and color balance accentuated that - it is barely noticeable in actuality. I had no bleed-through of any of the three inks I used - Lamy 'factory cartridge' blue, Caran d'Ache 'Grand Canyon' and Noodler's Violet. I'm really liking the Noodler's Violet by the way - writes very nicely in a medium nib Cross that I have it in and washes well also. My goal was to use up all the cartridge blue with the Lamy's before switching to the converter's and trying the other colors, but I don't know if I have enough self-discipline to do that - . Right now the only two colors I have in actual pens are the Grand Canyon and the Noodler's Violet. The experiments I've done with the other colors are dip pens so far.

On the Evening Grosbeaks, they are really wonderful birds. Unfortunately they have declined dramatically across the country over the last couple decades - some people believe to about 10% of their historical levels. The reasons for this aren't fully known, but in 99% of the species in decline, the primary culprit is habitat loss. These birds are highly gregarious - I don't think I've ever seen less than four or five at one time, and we once had a flock of 31 at our backyard feeders. They eat seed like avian vacuum cleaners, by the way. They often are heard before being seen (out here anyway) - chatting away in the tops of tall Douglas Firs, with their loud CHHEEEERRPP and CHUURRRRR's carrying a long way through the forest.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.

Last edited by JTMB : 05-12-2011 at 10:44 AM.