View Single Post
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2007, 01:19 AM
nvcricket's Avatar
nvcricket nvcricket is offline
Carson City
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,513
Hails from United States
Re: "How to Get Started in Soft Pastels" for our newbies

What I was refering to is called a Mahl stick. No wonder you are curious. The art stores carry various types, a popular type has the ends wrapped with leather.

My "mahl" is made with 1 inch pvc (used for yard irragation) and it is about a foot and a half in length. I want it longer than the paper I am painting on. I have a cane tip on each end. I bought the cane tips at Walmart. I place one end at the outside of my picture and hold the other end with my right hand. This enables me to draw detail without worrying about keeping my hand out of the worked areas. The rubber tip holds the mahl steady. If I want I can lay the mahl across my work. The stick part will be a half inch or so above the painting as the tips are wider. I took some pictures to give you an idea. (I am terrible with a camera!)
Attached Images
Reply With Quote