View Single Post
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Lord of the Arts

Artists' quotes about drawing & sketching - The spirit of sketching

Here are some quotes thinking about sketching/drawing , notice how little variation of opinion there is in these quotes from across continents & spanning the centuries.

A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts.
William Strunk, Jr.

The whole essence of good drawing - and of good thinking, perhaps - is to work a subject down to the simplest form possible and still have it believable for what it is meant to be.
Chuck Jones

For the artist, drawing is discovery. And that is not just a slick phrase; it is quite literally true.
John Berger

"In spite of everything I shall rise again: I will take up my pencil, which I have forsaken in my great discouragement, and I will go on with my drawing."
Vincent van Gogh

“In drawing, nothing is better than the first attempt."
Pablo Picasso

Drawing is the honesty of the art. there is no possibility of cheating. it is either good or bad."
Salvador Dali

"You can't do sketches enough. Sketch everything and keep your curiosity fresh."
John Singer Sargent

I sometimes think there is nothing so delightful as drawing.
There are many ways to draw beautifully.
Vincent van Gogh

Anything that passes before your eyes is a possible subject. Beauty may appear anywhere, at any time. You just have to be ready for it"
Kevin MacPherson

The very act of drawing an object, however badly, swiftly takes the drawer from a woolly sense of what the object looks like to a precise awareness of its component parts and particularities. (Alain de Botton)

“A drawing a day keeps the cobwebs away.” Robert Genn

“I draw like other people bite their nails.” Pablo Picasso

Pictures that have had months of labor expended on them may be more incomplete than a sketch.
Robert Henri

Let whoever may have attained to so much as to have the power of drawing know he holds a great treasure.
Draw, Antonio, draw - draw and don't waste time!
Michelangelo

We should talk less and draw more.
Johann Goethe