View Single Post
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2006, 07:42 PM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: laptop for art

Quote:
availability of computers for public use in libraries, coffee houses, and schools, there really isn't much need to carry around a notebook/laptop

How I wish that was the case for me while away for my last trip as artist in residence for nearly six weeks. There was an internet cafe but VERY expensive to use by the time I got to first base to look at my email, hence in the end didn't use it at all for email or updating my blog. In no way could the computer be used for anything else other than the internet. I guess in the end it depends on where you live and what facilities a country provides when you are traveling. Australia isnít good at offering computers for visitors to load up there photos or any other work that they may want to do, especially out in the country and worse still in the vast outback. In the cities appointments have to be made ahead of time for the use of library computers. For me this isnít workable as it encroaches on my time when I am away from home.

Internet Cafes are peppered all over Australia; depending on the internet connection they can be expensive though technology is improving with a better service in some cities with the introduction of connections via wireless to the visitorís laptop.

In saying this, Enchanted has come up with some ideas that maybe in the UK you can adapt them to your own working habits.

All the best